• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Now where do I start eh?

Astraoid

Despite almost everybody telling me to wait for the lighter chasis - I settled for the heavier one... as it's not that much heavier I'll just have to make the diference by easing off on the pasties.

So yesterday Karlos and I went to pick up the kit. After a quick look around their factory we found my rolling chasis on a trolley so we stuck some wheels on it:

000200.jpg

000210.jpg

Other bits of my kit lay nearby - FW Style rear

000220.jpg

FW Style bumper and nose assembly with lots of vents

000230.jpg

Once we had it loaded onto the trailer it was time for the fun bit - the test drive in the Westfield demonstator. The Sport 1600

000240.jpg

Karlos drove first - he's a bit more used to them than me.

000250.jpg

000260.jpg

000270.jpg

Old bill were warned of our adventure

000280.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astraoid

• scott beeland

• Bryan C

• Westy1700

Finally get back home and chucked the body panels onto the car to see roughly what it'll look like.

000320.jpg

000330.jpg

000340.jpg

000350.jpg

Some AP 4 pots - all looks pretty when it's new.

000360.jpg

000390.jpg

Some suspension

000370.jpg

Transmission tunnel

000380.jpg

And finally a box of bits... I'd better get started now! What's first?

000400.jpg

It's nearly built already :cool:

Shouldn't be long until we see your 1st drive pictures then :t-up:

:D I was amazed how much of the car was already put together by Westfield. I've not been allowed near spanners much before so that's probably a good thing.

The rest of the build will be down to finances. It'll pretty much be a case of 1 or 2 'big' things each month such as the intercooler and rad one month, fuelling and drivetrain another and so on.

the engine is complete although it's not entirely suitable for this car - I'm probably going to go for a dry sump and I need different boost pipes, rad and intercooler.

I have a T5 gearbox (but no clutch or bellhousing yet) and I have the diff. I've got a fidanza lightened flywheel but I don't think that's the best way to go anymore.

I'm hoping to complete it in around 6 months time but I gather that now I've said that I've given it the kiss of death. lol

I have an SBD cast ally sump. It surged initially when on the std. engine ( at least the gauge and OP warning light indicated surge...but the bearing shells showed no scars) but for this engine build we have added some transverse mounted one way trap doors (bmw item) which has cured the problem. I'm running a high revving 240+ brake motor now (as you'll have seen from the site) on sticky Toyo 888 tyres and we have NO oil pressure or surge problems atall. A lot cheaper than a dry sump.

Not a fan of dry sump systems myself. Simple loss of a belt with the dry system can resut in major engine rebuild cost.

Hmmm. You're not the first person I've spoken to that has frowned on the dry sump idea. I may have to pick your brains further about your method. The only reason I decided to keep my engine for the Westy was down to the financial investment I have put into it over the last 5 years or so and I certainly do not want to jeopardise it now.

Is it just me....

But when I see pictures of a nice shiney kit of bits I get the urge to build another one myself.

There's something about new bodywork and un-blemished alloy panels I think.  :blush: