• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

VDO speedo

CrashBangWallop

My VDO speedo is on the blink.

Firstly, the LCD milage/trip display started to show symptoms of losing it's marbles by displaying some language only readable to aliens.  Sometimes it's fine.  Other times... a garbled, flickering mess.  When it does display properly, it still has the correct milage and trip figures displayed.

Yesterday my analogue speedo decided to take a turn for the worst.  I haven't quite figured out a repeatable pattern but, the dial will only drop as low as 20 mph.  When I stop it reads 20 mph for a few seconds, then drops to zero.  I'm guessing (as always) that this might have something to do with the engine going into 'idle' mode.

When I accelerate it either barely moves past 20 mph or shoots up to something like 70 mph then as I accelerate, it moves backwards... not forwards.  And combinations thereof.

If it sounds like loose wiring, where would I start, please?

Thanks,

Neil

Neil, is yours one that is triggered by a sensor looking at bolts or nuts on the diff or prop, or is your's a mechanical drive from the gearbox?

Mark

Neil, is yours one that is triggered by a sensor looking at bolts or nuts on the diff or prop, or is your's a mechanical drive from the gearbox?

Mark

It counts diff bolts (electro-magnetic, is it?)

Well the most common problem for these is not being able to see the bolts, the gap is very specific.....I have a build manual around here somewhere..... so any movement will confuse the crap out of it.

Also and this might be just specific to me, but is the sensor intact? Mine started having a hissy fit at anything over 50mph due to the top of the sensor having taken a bashing from the prop bolts......no idea how I managed that either.

MArk