• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• never fear

• Mark Stanton

• JeffC

• pistonbroke

do you know this car?

I think I might do  ???  ???  ???  ??? it looks very much like a car that used to attend my local area meet a few years back ........... if it is same one, the car was built by a Midlands guy and registered as new, hence not a Q plate ................... However would need reg number and a much closer look to confirm  :)

Pricewise ............... that car hasn't done bad for an 11 (nearly 12) year old car if it sells for that  :D

they are a pricey garage just outside bromsgrove. well known round here for over priced cars. 5.0lt tho, you'd have to have a tanker follow you i asume or have shares in BP or SHELL

............ 5.0lt tho, you'd have to have a tanker follow you i asume or have shares in BP or SHELL

Yes ............... its a stonking big V8 ............. that's life .................depends on how hard loud pedal is pressed some 2 litres can get single figure mpg when you really gun em ........ what's your point  ???  ???  ???

god 3 times i have tried to type this and backspace wipes it every time .GLOL ,never mind  , 5.0ltr pulling about a quater of the weight it was meant to isn't gonna drink like a fish ,

oh and westfields are not exactly everyday cars , more toys , and toys are bought with hearts not heads , and their value will always be what it will be ...................

oh and westfields are not exactly everyday cars , more toys , and toys are bought with hearts not heads , and their value will always be what it will be ...................

That's a crackin line for a signature strip Harv  :D  :D  :D  ;)

More cabernet sauvignon will sort out your backspace  :devil:  :D

If you are worried about residual values then buying a brand leader like Westfield or Caterham will give you more protection than say buying a Tiger or a Dax or similar (absolutly no disrespect Tiger/Dax or to any other make of Seven by the way)

If you are not hankering to build then buying a late model used example will take some of the inevitable sting out of the depreciation that you'd suffer in a buy and build situation.

If Westfield went pop tomorrow I very much doubt that the value of the existing cars would crash.

I'm somewhat puzzled about the gloom and doom associated with the takeover at Westfield, I mean nobody invests vast sums of money in a brand leading company only to run it into the ground.

By the same token just because Westfield has new owners it doesn't mean that suddenly the Westfield sitting in my garage is worth less, going to spontaniously cease to exist or be any less of a car because the factory that made it has new owners.

I'm with Jeff C, choosing to buy a Westy is a descision of the heart not the head.

The WSCC and all the people that I've met and had a laugh with over the four years or so I've been a member is worth far more than what I've "lost" on the two Westies I've owned.

All MHO of course.

Chaz.

That's a crackin line for a signature strip Harv  :D  :D  :D  ;)

More cabernet sauvignon will sort out your backspace  :devil:  :D

nope its an issue with this forum tonight , when i type , as the other one i posted on tonight is fine .

however i recon car spen in 8 years is 32k ,

value now 12k ,

lost 20k in 8 years or 2.5k per year or 5k every 2 years , but HAVE I REAlly lost that ........... like hell i have , as the smiles are just priceless

you just sit and work out how much a woman will cost you over the same lenght of time , the westy looks like a good investment in comparison   :D  :D  :D

If you are worried about residual values then buying a brand leader like Westfield or Caterham will give you more protection than say buying a Tiger or a Dax or similar (absolutly no disrespect Tiger/Dax or to any other make of Seven by the way)

From what I can see, dax have better residuals than westfield, pinto cars normally go for 8K+, thats westfield 16v territory.

you just sit and work out how much a woman will cost you over the same lenght of time , the westy looks like a good investment in comparison   :D  :D  :D

that's the sort of thing Swiss Tony would say...  :laugh:

You cannot compare a Westfield with a normal car, it is a toy and if you cannot afford to have such a large toy sat in the garage there are alternatives. You could buy an older version where the loss has been taken by others, there was one in the club mag 98 cvh engined one for £4k, how cheap do you want a toy? You cannot build unless you are in the trade, for what cars are going for at the moment. This is nothing to do with the cars it is for sereral reasons, fear of house price crash, record borrowing, unemployment rising and alternative manufacturers now on the market. My car has lost none of the value to me, and the track one I am building will be the same. You are less likley to loose huge sums on a Westfield than others.

My wife bought a new MGTF (we buy British where possible) first three years great then fell to bits costing over £1500 in repairs. Chopped it in for a new MR2 lost £10,500 in three years, hurt like hell you could buy lots of Westfields for that money.

Don't look at it as an investment (as remember even they go up and down) look at the fun it gives you nothing more or less.

From what I've read and heard the signs for the Westfield business look promising, in business there is always an element of doubt about how long it will continue to stay profitable, or be challenging / rewarding enough for it's owners. Which is why businesses have to continually invest, and it looks as though thats exactly what's happening.

Having said that who know's what would happen to values 'IF' Westfield were to cease trading, maybe they'd go up slightly, maybe they would drop. But my guess is it wouldn't render anybodies car totally worthless. But I think the general feeling is that like any car purchase you don't normally expect to break even when you come to sell, let alone make a profit.

Everybody has to balance the ownership costs and decide for themselves, if you enjoy it and can afford it then do it. Just ask yourself what you would put the money into if you did sell now, and how much would that be worth in a couple of years time, if they're still trading :D

Hi

I am not that well off, but i bought my westy to have fun in. I guess i want to keep it for years to come, so unless you were planning on selling it in 2 years you wont loose a penny. If it makes you feel better i bought a freelander some years ago and lost 4K in 12 months (crap engine), but my last fun car was a mg midget which i bought for £2500 and sold 12 months later for 3K so you win some you loose some. Good luck.

P.S. just go buy one you would not regret it, unless you write it off, then you might

In the last 3 1/2 years, the price of 2nd hand Westfields and Caterhams have dropped a fair bit, I bought my first Westy for £9k, if that car was back on the market same age and mileage, it would be worth £7k, Caterhams have dropped by roughly the same amount, it seems to be the nature of the 2nd hand car market at the moment.

As said on this post previously, they are toys, you WILL loose money on them, if you don't want to loose money, don't buy one!