Stupid fixation with BHP

markcoopers

I've been traveling and away for a month or so now, and I come back to the boardroom to see that newbies and those giving the advice are hung up on bhp and potential mythical bhp figures from engines.

Why does everyone fixate on BHP so much.........It is irelevent without a good gearbox, Diff, Brakes, shocks, even chassis to put it all in,and the drivers skill to drive it.

I say to all you interested in purchasing a westfield; Ignore all the comments about purchasing a "so and so" engined car as it has or can give 3million bhp and start thinking about the car as a whole.

You wouldn't choose between a Golf or Focus because of bhp, but because of all the other bits that make it go, stop, steer and an ownership pleasure. Why treat a Westfield any different?

I'm sorry, but this is getting stupid. Anyone would think that without 200bhp you would be lucky to get off the drive let alone reach 60mph on the road.

Westfields are fun and fast for more reasons than just bhp, high time we started telling newbies that.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Porkie

• markcoopers

• Matt Seabrook

• John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison

One or two of the space shuttles booster rockets should do... you'l have to strengthen your chassis first though - preferably with neutronium.

And yes, I completely agree with Mark - I bought my V8 (still languishing in Galveston docks) for the sound and the torque not for future upgrades or for "teh ub3r powah!" as I believe the cool kids are talking nowadays ;)

Believe me, a standard 1.6 in a 600 kilo car will rock your world (as I believe they said in the 80's) and be incredibly nimble.

What's the point of a 2 second 0-60 and a top speed of stupid when you've got clogged and poorly maintained roads? You'll have just as much fun in a 110 bhp car as you will in a 200+ bhp car... but with the added benefit of not dying immediately as you try to get used to it.

Mrk, you are absolutly spot on. On several occassions people have been on here saying "I need 200bhp" and where possible I offer a ride in my 200bhp engined car, everyone has said they didn't actually need that much power after feeling what it actually feels like.

a zetec or pinto is plenty for most people, but what happens is we see on here the bigger is best brigade who have a lot of time near a computer take over, and become experts.

When I had my pinto engined car there wasn't huge numbers of cars passed me on track and even less on the road. Buy what you need and like, not one because an "expert" say's so.

my 1.6 pinto had 87 BHP at the wheels it was great and gave me 3 years service on the road and in the speed series.

I think anything above 150BHP is just to mask a drivers lack of ability  :p  :p  :D

One or two of the space shuttles booster rockets should do... you'l have to strengthen your chassis first though - preferably with neutronium.

Cocked up on the "Quote" post..but been done before!!!!!!

Police in America came across the scene of an apparent light aircraft accident.

Evidence of an high impact was found on a cliff face, but on investigation they found a number plate and relevant car bits!!!!!

They traced the licence plate to a guy who worked at the air base, and upon investigation found that TWO SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS had been stolen.....

The cororners report stated...."The suspect thief drove out in to the desert to a extremly long stretch of road, were he attached the two booster rockets to the roof of his station wagon.

Having set them going he accelerated down the road....unfortunatly far faster than he anticipated..

The police estimated his speed at the time of impact at over 300 miles an hour... and pointed out that his brake pads had worn down to the metal and WELDED themseves to the discs!!!!!

The guy was entered in to the "most stupid way to die competition" ...and won it!!!

Previous winners were.

1/ A guy who rocked a coke machine forward and backwards to get a free can... and died when it fell on him!!!

2/ A gut found squashed under a large rock in Spain.. along with a dead chicken... Its what he was doing to the chicken that was funny!!! rhymes with "Pluckin"

OOOO! Betty

:sheep: Solid rocket boosters!!!

I agree with Jeff and Mark here..

I was one of those with the 200bhp figure in my head and then lucky enough to be given the rare trip in Jeffs... after that... what ever I got was going to be quick enough. And to start with my 147bhp zetec on TBs is more than enough fun :o) I don't have too many things that I cannot overtake if I need to... :)

:D

my 1.6 pinto had 87 BHP at the wheels it was great and gave me 3 years service on the road and in the speed series.

I think anything above 150BHP is just to mask a drivers lack of ability  :p  :p  :D

After 15 years in westies i cant agree more....i was lucky enough to witness Marks 87 BHP pinto - waht he didnt mention was that he spent 'TIME' setting up the suspension and handling to perfection and without doubt even with such a low power rating it was one of the quickest rides in any vehicle i've been in having jsu two speeds....flat out or stopped...

I spent 14 years in a 130bhp xflow, set up well nothing could stay with it and when it was built that was a heap of power...i also learnt to drive a seven and now feel confident and sensible enough to handle my new created beast with well above 200bhp - since has the right brakes, suspension, box and everything to complement the grunt.

My advice to any newbie....keep the power below 150 and learn to drive...and ENJOY

Westfields and the like are a funny breed.

In terms of making progress it is by far the quickest car i have ever owned, yet it is the only car i have ever owned that i want to make faster.  ???

With 135 bhp, it offers such a fantastic experience that i have to assume a near 200 bhp machine would make me feel like a kid with a wonka golden ticket.  :D

Personally I've witnessed this obsession with Bhp in almost every other forum related to cars, and I suppose I've been guilty of chasing Bhp myself, although I have always been motivated to achieve the complete package rather than a big engined coffin on wheels. I think what the more seasoned Westfield owner should appreciate, however, is that for some people, the application can be irrelivant, and it's all about the persuit of pushing the boundaries of an engine (Sometimes out of curiosity and sometimes just to achieve something new) Perhaps a Westy isn't the best place to go pushing an engine's capabilities but let's be honest - is a Westy really a common sense decision anyway? lol

Agree to a certain point , but all cars can be made to handle irrelevant of the bhp  ,  I would say to any newbie buy the quickest best sorted  car you can afford its cheaper than upgrading .. :t-up:

You guys are assuming that newbies are all new to driving high power  RWD cars.

A 200bhp Westie is easier to drive than a 300BHP TVR !!!

If people want a powerfull car, then why not. If it floats there boat then all power to them.

Most cars with high spec engines I have seen also have high spec chassis components as well.

What newbies should be made aware of though is generaly power comes at a cost in wear and tear and reliability

Bazzer

Bazzer