• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Which engine?

sparker156

Hi

forgive my lack of knowledge but I am becoming rather confused over which type of engine I can fit in a westfield, and indeed which model of Sierra or Saphire I should be looking for?

I think I am after a 2.0L- Zetec? OHC? or DOHC?

If your building an SDV, then you'll be looking for a 2.0 ohc engine'd Sierra, typically 1990 or earlier.  The engines are commonly refered to as a "Pinto".

Looks like this (obvisouly you donor may have carbs or fuel injection so may look slightly different).

engine.jpg

However, Pinto's are not the only engines that can be fitted to a Westfield and if you aren't on a budget, there are probably better engines to use.  :devil:

Most Sierras came with the Pinto engine - heavy cast iron block, 8V head. Later versions had a twin overhead cam version.

However, a better option for a budget build would be to use a Mondeo engine (1.8 or 2.0-litre) mated up a a Type 9 gearbox (which bolts straight on). The Mondeo engines are plentiful and cheap (£50-£500), while the Type 9 gearbox is available for under £50. All you then need to sort out is the induction kit (carbs and ignition only ecu are the cheapest option).

Actually, this may be a better photo:-

COMP1_20.JPG

This is a DOHC - probably not very suitable for a kit car, although it has been done but it is more complicated.

2.0dohcefi.jpg

Later versions had a twin overhead cam version

The only "later" version of the Pinto that had twin cams was the Cosworth YB.

The DOHC 8v engines that were later fitted to Sierra's and Granada's share no Pinto design characteristics at all.

Finding a pinto engine'd sierra is becoming increasingly more difficult.  Most are now CVH's or DOHC with the mt75 box.

2.0 DOHC Sierra aint a bad donor if your not planning to use the engine, if you can pick up a GLSi you will end up with discs all round instead of drums at the rear, chuck the engine in the bin and bolt a zetec straight on to the Sierra gearbox  :t-up:  :)