• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Which engine?

wildwesty

both a good reliable choice i know, but what are the deciding factors over having one or the other?

im looking for a fast road cam with carbs and nothing else on it. looking to be about 160 bhp yet still having a reliable engine i dont have to worry about.

and no thanks, i dont want bec, v8 etc even though they all have merits. :p

If your going to re-build the engine - vx as you'll get more power for your money.  If you want to just sling an engine in straight out of the scrappy I'd go zetec as the red tops are getting a bit old now.

If I had the money I'd go for the 2.0l VTEC out of the Integra Type R. Run on 100Ron and it's good for 225bhp with no mods. :love:

Tubs

With similar work the VX will give about 5-10bhp (up to 220ish then the VX wins)

However the Zetec is easier to fit, lighter and probably cheaper due to millions being sold.

My choice, up to 220 Zetec, anything over would be Duratec!

sorry didnt say, but at the current costs of S/H vs Build im looking to buy a car.

both VX and zetec are similar money but i dont know enough about them to decide which.... ???

i wont have a huge budget for fixing it or adding to it so mods are not a concern at the mo.

any more popcorn mr K and you wont get off that chair :p

sorry didnt say, but at the current costs of S/H vs Build im looking to buy a car.

both VX and zetec are similar money but i dont know enough about them to decide which.... ???

i wont have a huge budget for fixing it or adding to it so mods are not a concern at the mo.

Unless you've got aspirations of power over 210bhp i'd say buy on the condition of the car and what other "shiny" bits it has, and not worry too much about which engine is better.

I have one of each and to be honest like scruffy said buy the one that is best screwed togeather. If you are not looking for monster power they will both be good.

thanks guys or maybe gals.

if they are both of equal ground then i'll concentrate on the build and other bits.

160 - 180 will do me just fine, i was happy with my pinto for nearly 2 years, 160bhp will still show its heals to most roadies and will return the required grin! :D

Yep on car spec, not just engine....Look for:

Quality shocks - £400

RAC roll bar - £240

A good suspension set up - £100

Tyres - £200

Rectent rolling road set up - £200

Maybe an LSD

Things like throttle bodies, and engine management, will ad more too.....

Good luck, but both engines will be fantastic.....

im looking for a fast road cam with carbs and nothing else on it. looking to be about 160 bhp yet still having a reliable engine i dont have to worry about.

If you want 160bhp, you will have to detune a VX... :D