type 9 question

tingtong

hello everyone

this may sound like a reall dumb A*** question but does a close ratio gearbox mean that the posistion of the gears with the selecter are closer together?

The rerason why i ask is that im in the process of trying to get hold of one, and donar spares and main train do standard recondition units for £200ish and close ratios for £400ish just wanted to know if this was a good deal and what the difference is

It's the ratios of the gears that are close, not the movement of the selector. This will depend on whether you have a quickshift, not on the ratios. I think the main train close ratio isn't much better than the standard ratios, so you won't see a dramatic improvement (I think the first of their's is about 3.3:1 instead of 3.6:1). Though for £400 it's not a bad compromise. Tigger's web site has an excellent gear ratio programme that will show you the different revs when you have to change for different ratio gears. Click here.

Thanks

now all becomes clear, i think i might just go for the standard as then i will be able to buy the bell housing for my XE as well, im getting that over drawn feeling again   :t-up: