• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

where is my oil going?

cozzy

I have a xe engine in my westy which does 'something' with oil at an alarming rate. On friday (abingdon trackday) i filled it to max before leaving,  at lunchtime it was still max, when I got home it was below min!

I think this is 1 litre of oil after 160 miles.

Been trying to track this for some time, the car was covered with oil underneath when I bought it, degreased it and its still clean, no drips on the garage floor, no oil in the catchtank, no clouds of smoke from the exhaust, the water is fairly clean, even though i think I may have a porus head.

I dont know where its going :angry:

What have i missed ?

I'm having just this issue myself. Mine is the inlet cam oil seal, which seems (as far as I can tell) to be losing oil at an equally alarming rate. The final test will be on Saturday when I'm going to clean the engine (again) and then drive it in 2 minute bursts round the block to see if I can see *for sure* where it's coming from.

If you have a porous head, then you *will* have either oil in the water, or vice versa. It must be attended to...

is it used for mostly short runs ??

short runs can give you bore wash, petrol ends up in the oil and then gives you a false (ish) reading on the dipstick.

its not until you get on a long run or drive it hard for a while, ie trackday, that the petrol b*******s of from the oil and shows up as low on the dipstick.

fairly short runs....

But i changed the oil shortly after buying the car. Think it took about 1 gallon to fill it up and have put another gallon in  since then.

I think if the head was that porus then the cooling system would be virtually 100% oil by now.

Does the petrol float on oil or the other way around?

think it stays pretty much mixed unless its stood for a while, cant remember which one floats on the other ??

how many miles has it taken to use the other gallon ?

500 or 600

I could understand if it drips out the bottom or burns out the exhaust, but it doesn't.

Mark,I take it you made the car quiet for the track day then?

yes, with a merlin motorsport trackday silencer + a repack of the original 'non-repackable' westfield item the db came down from 104 to 98.5db  :D (before the poppin & bangin started anyway  :p )

yes, with a merlin motorsport trackday silencer + a repack of the original 'non-repackable' westfield item the db came down from 104 to 98.5db  :D (before the poppin & bangin started anyway  :p )

Blimey,that was lucky and close.I think the Merlin can knocks about 4db off,so the can did make a slight difference.

500 or 600

I could understand if it drips out the bottom or burns out the exhaust, but it doesn't.

A gallon of oil in 600 miles? Jesus...

It *must* be visible somewhere though. That's a lot of oil. My leak, which is *bad* is using about a litre every thousand miles.

IMHO, you need to revisit you engine with a more critical eye...

neither can I!! I know how to look for an oil leak, i used to have an old landrover! Park up and it spots from each diff, both swivel housings, engine, gearbox & transferbox  :p

There is no oil under the westy, iv'e been under it tonight & there is a trace of a leak from the sump plug.

I think I will top it up + recheck it each day  to see when it goes down. I've never seen the dipstick on mid position, its either full or virtually empty.

I knew someone that had the same problem, check oil and nothing on dipstick, put 2 litres in drove a bit further (20 miles) still below dipstick repeat 3 times (no oil pressure probs) then realise the dipstick tube had broken and was wiping oil off the stick as it was withdrawn.

Do you have a catch tank, or does the cam cover vent to atmosphere, or (worse) get recycled by the inlet system?

Has your cam cover had the SBD breather modification done to it?

I have a catchtank, its empty. Not sure about the breather mod, not had the camcover off yet.

Like the thought about the dipstick tube. I will probably discover next week the oil is overflowing from the filler as there is so much in there  :D