a few questions...

Edo

All, few things I need some help with.

According to the build notes, my car has a Sierra Gearbox - is this Type 9 or MT75?

I am thinking of fitting the self cancelling indicators as I am for ever leaving them on - are the ones from Westfield any good - or are there better ones I could be looking at. Also - how hard to fit?

I am looking at replacing the spark plugs in my VX 2.0. The last ones according to the reciepts were NGK BCPR7ES - or BCPR7E - what is the difference between the E and the ES? What else could I fit - would this be the pest - and where from?

Finally, I have to fit a new nose, and though the old grille would transfer accross - sadly they are different - so I will order a new grille - how does it attach??

Thanks for any people can help me with!

Ed.

All, few things I need some help with.

According to the build notes, my car has a Sierra Gearbox - is this Type 9 or MT75?

If reverse is left and forward it is type 9, if it is right and back, it's MT75. Also, if you cannot get into reverse without a crunch unless you stop totally and wait a second, it's type 9. MT75 has a synchro reverse and reverse gear is as quiet as the forward ones.

am looking at replacing the spark plugs in my VX 2.0. The last ones according to the reciepts were NGK BCPR7ES - or BCPR7E - what is the difference between the E and the ES? What else could I fit - would this be the pest - and where from?

Use whatever plugs were in there already. I suspect the S stands for suppressed, IE, they have a little supressor fitted to avoid interference with other electrical systems.

Thanks - anyone on the indicators/grille?

you could try these

egoryZ100921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">polished alloy ones

Because getting the workings out of sight, getting them behind the wheel without moving the wheel too close to the driver, and getting the self cancelling function to work, *especially* on  a quick raack, can be pretty challenging. Stalks like that can take up a lot of room.

The alternative to stalks or the self cancelling switched type is to fit an audible warning device so that you can hear the indicators when they're on. There are plenty around designed to fit to motorbikes...

MT75 has a synchro reverse and reverse gear is as quiet as the forward ones.

Are you sure? My old car had a MT75 initially. I'm posative it was the normal crash idler gear design. Could be wrong tho'. That will be a learning point.

MT75 has a synchro reverse and reverse gear is as quiet as the forward ones.

Are you sure? My old car had a MT75 initially. I'm posative it was the normal crash idler gear design. Could be wrong tho'. That will be a learning point.

Well, yes, I think so. I have had two Granadas, one 1987 and one 1990, plus a Sierra ('91) and the first Granada had a type 9, and the other and the Sierra MT75s. To the best of my recollection, and you have raised a doubt in my mind of course, the two with MT75 boxes were synchro reverse because I remember the surprise I got when I first reversed my Westfield (type 9) and got the long forgotten 'vintage' whine from it plus the crunch when engaging reverse gear.

Someone will be along with chapter and verse, I'm sure. :)

Edit:

This link is to a manual for overhauling a MT75 box - very informative in its own right - and reference is made to a 'synchroniser for reverse gear'.  Q.E.D?  :0

Re the indicators see this search that I started when I was building the car.

In the event, I have done nothing and use the standard on-off switch and it's really not a problem. Probably a few years riding a bike without self-cancelling indicators helps. OK, they do get left on sometimes but it gets less frequent as you get used to it.

Re grill, usual method is some tyraps going through small holes in the nosecone. If you get the right colour match they're hardly noticeable.

Kerry

I used silicone to fix my front grille to save drilling holes. It hasn't come off yet in the twenty or so test starts up my drive :p

I bonded some 'loops' of copper brake pipe inside the nose and tie wrapped to these - hidden fixings!

Tony