White Smiths Dials

Mitchamidilly

I am having problems with setting up my speedo. I'm following these instructions:

Clicky

So far all I know is that the dial does work and is getting a feed from the transducer. Reads up to 10mph on my drive and lights work ok too. I am now ready to calibrate and have calculated the no of pulses per mile.

My probnblem is that when holding the button (for 3 secs) and turning the ignition on at the same I cannot get it to switch to "calibration mode" :(

Any ideas?

I apologise if this sounds like a stupid question, but are you talking about the black faced VDO dials or the Smiths dials?

Stupid Boy  :bangshead: I just re-read your thread title and realised that my previous post was a stupid question.

The Smiths dials just require the correct pulse number in the code in the rear and do not have a calibration mode as described in the instructions, which will be why you can't get into the mode.  I tried exactly the same when I first installed mine, believing the instructions as I did  :durr:

If you have input the correct pulse code into the back then you may find that the sensor isn't close enough to the lobro bolts (or whatever you are using) and that may be why it's not detecting the speed correctly

The Smiths dials just require the correct pulse number in the code in the rear and do not have a calibration mode as described in the instructions, which will be why you can't get into the mode.  I tried exactly the same when I first installed mine, believing the instructions as I did

Yeah they do cause mine has it. The rubber button is pushed in to tight pullthe rubber button away from the gauge turn the ignition on then push the rubber button in you will have to pull the button every time you imput a number it is very fiddily but can be done good luck.

Mine is a four digit also just make the first two digits 00

so code 1234 input as 001234

I have a row of 8 dip switches in the back of my Smiths Speedo.   It came with instructions and a dip switch decode sheet to set them with.  Does this mean that there are 2 methods of setting them or are there different versions?

There are different versions made by caerbont my red car had the same dials and they had the dip switches.