Alloy wheel nuts - possible group buy

peterrosey

I'm looking to do a deal on a load of alloy wheel nuts - black anodised 12 x 1.5mm thread, closed ends. If you're after the ultimate in weight saving, these are an easy way to save a bit of unsprung weight.

If I can get enough interest I can get the price down to around £42 posted to your door. By way of comparison DT are charging £112 for a set of four anodised blue.

So who's interested? I need a minimum of four people to start the ball rolling.

They're not open-ended and 12 x 1.5 is all that's on offer. Looks like that's that then! Hey ho...

And just in case... remember, alloy wheel nuts are not legal for MSA competition events. IE if you run your car in the Speed Series, then ally wheel nuts are a no no...

I would like some, is the chamfer the same on all wheel nuts ? I have Compomotive evolution wheels.

I've looked into using these wheelnuts a little more deeply now and I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by them. I have since spoken to an expert in high tensile aerospace grade alloys. Although the aerospace grade alloy they use for them is very tough, the differing rates of expansion between the aluminium nut and the steel stud may be an issue.

Plus, given that the Westfield studs / hub / disc are so close together the heat build up will be pretty high.

I've also looked into Titanium wheel nuts (found a place where they cost under £100 a set), but these have similar expansion issues plus tend to bind on steel threads (so they have to be well greased, which isn't ideal).

While Posche may have been using aluminium nuts for years, I do think that the motorsports organisations are probably correct in not allowing the use of aluminium or titanium nuts in competition.

So that's why I'm not keen to get involved in this one. Sorry chaps!

And just in case... remember, alloy wheel nuts are not legal for MSA competition events. IE if you run your car in the Speed Series, then ally wheel nuts are a no no...

Does that mean they are not as safe as steel ones then?

I've been looking for some black closed end ones for my black alloys purely for aesthetic reasons :blush:  :D . So far found Muteki oneshere, in 12x1.5 60deg seat.

Kev.

Does that mean they are not as safe as steel ones then?

Don't know. I suspect the differing thermal expansion properties has something to do with it.

Also perhaps there is a preceived risk of being able to strip an ally nut more easily than a steel one if the wheel gets bashed on a kerb or by another competitor, or by simply being a bit ham fisted with the wheel brace. Obviously another car hitting yours wouldn't happen in a sprint, but for racing it may be a concern.

If there ok for big heavy subaru's there good enough for our cars which weigh less than half that what they are designed for.

While Posche may have been using aluminium nuts for years

Really? Not on any that own/have owned. I did look into non-steel nuts as I have a "rusty nut" problem  :blush:  but Porsche said it was an absolute no-no. Just paint them every 6 months instead...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.