Wind Deflectors

MVS

Spotted these on e-bay and wondered if anbody recognised them, or who is selling them.

Do they work cos the doors do limit elbow room?

dZViewItem" target="_blank">Polycarbonate Wind Deflectors

My deflectors also cam from him (Steve) and they are excellent.

I made these from 6mm acrylic (Pesrpex).

WINDEFLECTOR1a.jpg

from this pattern (2" squares)

windef1.jpg

this must be the biggest image ever seen on here, Clive :D

Useful though. I bought mine off Steve as per initial post. Folk ask me if they're any good, but I've never driven without them on  :blush:  but when asked if my face was numb after a decent drive, and I said no it wasn't, just had a deaf rh ear, was told they must be OK then :D

Kerry

this must be the biggest image ever seen on here, Clive :D

Useful though. I bought mine off Steve as per initial post. Folk ask me if they're any good, but I've never driven without them on  :blush:  but when asked if my face was numb after a decent drive, and I said no it wasn't, just had a deaf rh ear, was told they must be OK then :D

Kerry

Yes I know, sorry about that but I put it up in a bit of a hurry and didn't think to scale it! Try it now - I've reduced it.

I find that they are better than no sidescreens but way short of the sidescreens themselves. With none in place and when I'm a passenger (my son shares the car with me) I have to put my finger in my left ear to avoid permanent damage to my ear and they do save me that anyway.  :D They look the biz, though, and a friend of mine who is a bit of a perfectionist seemed incredulous that I, who am somewhat impulsive and impatient, should make anything properly let alone those.  :p

Edited to say that my other half, seeing me posting this, said that 'wind deflector' is a misnomer!  :sheep:

I use an ear plug in my right ear when I'm driving  :blush:

Kerry

Hi

I have just bought a set from Unoplas looked at both and prefered the style of these ( the top is squared off rather than curved, which i think carries the line of the windscreen on beter).

I agree that they are not quite as good as sidescreen but you loose so much of the westfield experience with the sidescreens on that is a more than worthwhile trade!

I looked at making a set out of Ploycarbonate myself but the material is £30 per m2 so Unoplas or these become good value before you have started to try and bend it  ???

I use an ear plug in my right ear when I'm driving  :blush:

Kerry

My right ear stopped working completely just after Christmas, before I drove any distance in mine, so I do not need an earplug.  Interestingly, I hear all sorts of siren/ ice cream van music (no - not catering van) type noises in my right ear when driving, even though I can hear nothing when out of the car.

I get a lot of wind noise in my left ear, so I might just put a plug in my left ear, but then I would not be able to hear the lovely exhaust note.

Hi

I have just bought a set from Unoplas looked at both and prefered the style of these ( the top is squared off rather than curved, which i think carries the line of the windscreen on beter).

I agree that they are not quite as good as sidescreen but you loose so much of the westfield experience with the sidescreens on that is a more than worthwhile trade!

I looked at making a set out of Ploycarbonate myself but the material is £30 per m2 so Unoplas or these become good value before you have started to try and bend it  ???

Yes, you're right, polycarb IS dear but not necessary though. Six millimetres of Perspex or equivalent is plenty tough enough and much easier to get cheaply. If you doubt whether acrylic is saitisfactory consider the fact that Spitfire (the aircraft) canopies are made from it and they go even faster than any Westfield!

I got mine, sufficient for a set with dangler-up wiggle room to spare, for £9 in a place in Wimbledon as an offcut. It wasn't quite wide enough to exactly follow the pattern (thanks to a Blatchatter from the USA) but still enough to make a workmanlike deflector. I jigsawed the shape, sanded and polished the edges, and then hot air gunned it to soften it along the bends. Shield the adjacent areas with pieces of ply and heat only the bend area.

My right ear stopped working completely

My LEFT ear stopped working a couple of years ago, so I think it's great going out for a blat with Howard.  The only 'sound' that I can hear with that ear is the thrumming wind noise that you get when being driven at speed.  It makes me forget I'm half deaf.  If I had my own Westy, I'd prefer a left hand drive!

• 1 month later...