Just been given a Westfield

Roman

Hi everyone, please bare with me and I hope I don't waffle to much.

My dad brought this Westfield about 4 years ago and used it for about 2 years, then due to personal reasons he hasn't used the car for the past 2 years.  Once he stoppped using it I pested him nearly every week for him to sell it to me.

Now finally we have come to an agreement that I will repair/rebuild it for him and he can use it for one last time, then I can have it. :D

The only down side is that it has sat outside for those past 2 years and probally the last 18 months without a cover on it. :(

Luckly I have some where sercure to keep it while I'm working on it.

All I know at present is that it is a SEI model fitted with 1600 x-flow (also comes with a 1760 x-flow). Base car was a mk3 Cortina.

Where do you think I should start looking, I know the brakes were shot before he stopped using it, so i'll be repalcing them at some point.

I have had a look around the site, lots of useful information.

I would be grateful on any tips or suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roman

• pistonbroke

• blankczechbook

• Top Cat

Where's "In the land of sheep and tractors"?

I'd suggest that you contact some local members to come and have a look/give you a hand.... :t-up:

They have tractors in Wales ???:D

Try here Clicky for info on the West wales Meet.

Rich

PS. At some point someone will say "join the club". I'd say it's most likely worth it if your going to need spare parts.

check clutch is not stuck to flywheel.

renew all brake pipes / pads and overhaul calipers and wheel cylinders.

service the engine...grease the prop.

check out all the electrics....lights / horn etc.

try some new petrol......and get down the MOT station !!!

I would of thought that most rubber parts would need some carefull inspection (hoses, oil seals etc), including tyres if it has sat not moved for as long as you mention.

Worth looking at all the suspension bushes, as these will not be what they once were, and expect some to be pretty solid and in need of some persuasion.

Please change the engine oil and filter, and i would also flush the cooling out as well. Check dampers for leaks, and like the others have said, brakes/petrol/electrics/clutch.  If it were me I would go a bit further and also change the brake fluid, over 2 years standing will almost certainly absorb some water.

I would also expect the clutchand throttle cables to at least need adjusting and greasing/oiling, and I would of thought the Carbs would need a service kit/clean and set up.

Weekends work for a car is not bad?

Don't be worried about surface rust on chassis and wishbones if it has any, can easily be sorted.  If you're happy getting your hands dirty, it shouldn't cost a lot to sort but may require a fair bit of time in the garage.  Probably best swopping engine to 1760 one straight away and sorting clutch etc while you're at it.

Welcome to the fold.  Loads of useful advice here as and when you need it.

Thanks for all the advice, I enjoy getting my hands dirty, so thats not a problem. Anyway it gets me away from er in doors.

I had thought about most of what had been mentioned, but their is a few things that I hadn't.

Quick question can you buy the brake pipes to fit or do you have to make them up?

if you mean just the flexible brake pipes - then it is worth making some up yourself with some lovely braided hoses - custom made to suit you- by you! - but it might be worth first getting the brake problem sorted before doing these sort of upgrades....

why are the brakes shot ? are they in need of rebuild kits - or simply freeing up?  or are the hoses perished?

worth letting the pistons move in and out a few times - on M16 calipers - by clamping one piston up with one caliper off the discs at a time. very quick to do and see leaks or sticky pistons instantly.

most likely bushes will be ok, and unless the engine is gone - keep it there and get the car going for this summer - get an mot done and find the faults - fix the faults fast - get on the road - have a blast.

.... then if time / money allows go for the engine swop and other bits - but engine swop will be a little hassle setting the carbs up - which tends not to be so quick to do DIY.

- and don't worry - it didn't sound like bragging - just as you said .. just been given a westfield. - wasn't meant as bragging - wasn't taken as bragging -  but you're still a lucky sod !!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally picked the car up this morning.

Going to slowly go over the car and get it ready for next spring (I've waited this long, I think I can wait a bit longer).

Hopefully post some pics later.