A hole in my bellhousing..

Boomy

..dear Lyza.

I noticed underneath the car, the cover for the bellhousing appears to be missing in a bottom corner.

It looks like it has been ripped off somehow!.

How much danger am i in if i suck up a hedgehog or something?.

I was thinking of just fixing up a piece of sheet metal to cover the hole or should i really be thinking about stripping and fitting a new metal (i assume) cover plate?.

I had a holed bell housing once.

It was on a 1430cc Mini engine, the flywheel parted company with the crankshaft at about 6500rpm smashed it's way through the clutch housing before exiting stage right (through the off side front wheel arch) taking the brake lines with it.

Oh how I laughed (once my mate had stuffed the Mini into a hedge to assist stopping it) once I realised I was'nt gonna die ???   ???  ???

Chaz.

Now if this was steppenwolf's car it would have all been cleaned and polished before a picture was put up on the forum  :p  :p  :D  :D  :D

HOLE.jpg

Best pic i could get really for now.

I hate how everything looks so manky in close up pictures. :D

That will be fine. It is not a hole in the bell housing, just a poor fitting plate.

I have known people who run without that plate altogether.

i don't and never have run the plate on the assumption that stones that may go in can come out ............possibly a small hole is worse than no cover as and incomeing debris has not real exit route ....................

I've never run that plate either, and I've had  my Pinto running for 9 years!  I don't see how any damage can be caused, I think it's just there to stop it getting dirty, but then I don't do rally stages!

One benefit in not having the plate is that oil leaks from the rear crank seal/front of gearbox are easy to spot.