Windscreen Fillet

kipford

Has anyone got any tips for fitting the windscreen fillet. Also does it fit underneath the side pillars coz it looks a bit of a fiddle to do it?  :(

Regards

Dave

yes, definitley underneath the side pillars. The windscreen wiper bosses held it down, but I beleive I had to adjust the length of the angled plastic boss in order to get the splined part to fit in a position where the grub screw could locate in the spindle.

The fillet did require a little fettling at each end but my main problem had been to get the windscreen sitting squarley on the pillars and in the groove on the scuttle!  :angry:

regards

richard

As Richard said, lots of fettling required. Make sure you mask the scuttle around the windscreen pillar area - really easy to scratch the scuttle with the fillet (t-cut is wonderful stuff)

Paul

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, last year was WESTFIELD build, this year, new kitchen, and am too tight to pay anyone to fit it, luckily I haven't missed much as the weather has been so crap. But SWMBO wins everytime, how is that?

Regards

Richard

• 5 months later...

Rather than start yet another post about fitting the windscreen fillet I'll add to this one.

I have seen how well (badly) my fillet fits without adjustment and think that there may be quite a bit of fettling in the near future. What sort of adjustment have people had to do to get theirs to fit? Just the length or have people adjusted the curves at the end? Mine seems to be too high to fit under the windscreen pillars at the moment.

Only had to adjust the length of the fillet on my build. You can trim a bit off then try it for size by bending it then sliding it into position under the pillars. Don't make it too tight a fit as previously said the wiper bosses hold it all tightly in place.

It sounds safer to try adjusting the length before trying to adjust the curved bits. I can't tell for sure but I think that my fillet may seem too high because it can't go far enough forward to go down lower. The curve inside the winscreen pillar is holding it back. At the moment the fillet would well and truly clash with the windscreen.

Fitted mine about 6 wks ago.

It required shortening on both ends, and a little work on the inside radiuses to get it to sit nicely on the scuttle.

I also squared off the vertical onto the glass once it sat on the scuttle better.

You do need to bend it gently to get it under the pillars.

My prob is that my windscreen press-tud is slightly higher one side of the pillar than the other, and seem to have tried most things to resolve it. Windscreen looks good and fits the scuttle well but the studs have 15mm difference.

Any ideass?

I have been fitting my windscreen today and I found exactly the same with the press studs, one being higher than the other. I also found that the screen was hard up against one pillar and a little away from the other.

I think that this is the problem. The screen is sittling on the curved parts of the frame. With the screen further over one side it is sittling lower that side. Try lifting it up a bit and slide it over the other way a bit.

Of course this may not be the problem at all.

Incidentally, has everyone else found the instruction in the manual to slide the windscreen in place after fitting the pillars utterly impossible?

Incidentally, has everyone else found the instruction in the manual to slide the windscreen in place after fitting the pillars utterly impossible?

Yup, needs someone holding screen in place whilst a second person fits the pillars :laugh:

Built pillars up on screen first, just lightly fastened. Then possible to fit the screen on your own. Had the screen fully bolted up before even looking at the fillet. The fillet itself only needed trimming for length. As mentioned in earlier post you can flex the fillet in place. BUT be careful, you can VERY easily damage the scuttle gel coat even with masking tape in place (voice of experience).

Dave

Ehhhmmm I thought it was just my press studs out of line! I ended up lifting one side up and using a load of sealant. After I might add I tried to change radius on bottom of windscreen with a file and the odd power tool :bangshead: The original mould for the scuttle must be slightly off I can't imagine the windscreen is asymetric

Got my new reg today after a trip to two DVLA offices. The first reckoned they couldn't issue it as I didn't live in their post code area even though it was closer. Everyone was very helpful though. Off to Halfrauds 1st thing for the new plate tomorrow morning and then for a quick blat whatever the weather :D  :D  :D