13" Protech shocks

Toby Mack

A pair of 13" Protech alloy shocks (1.9" spring platforms) with 7/16" poly bushes (Westfield size).

MUCH better than those horrible yellow spax shocks, if you have any doubts do a search here!

These are basically unused - I fitted springs and tried to fit them to the car before realising there were slightly too long.

From what I have gathered 13" shocks are correct for some/most westfields but not all as I found out to my cost  :down:

Yours for £120 the pair plus postage which I think is a bargain!

I have a megabusa, do you know whether they will fit?

Hi,

Sorry, to be honest I don't know. The best bet it so measure your existing ones to check.

For anyone interested, here is a picture.....

shocks.jpg

for those who are not sure if these will fit or want the change their rideheight (so cannot just measure the old ones) this is the process I went through to check my car. Looks longwinded but is actually pretty quick and simple to do....

1) remove the existing shocks

2) jack car to desired ride height with the wheels on the ground.

3) Measure the distance between the shock mount bolt centres. This is your nominal shock length.

4) jack car until the wheels leave the ground. Travel will probably be limited by the top ball joint but make sure the wheels have properly drooped and are not being help up by stiff bushes.

5) measure the distance between the shock mount bolt centres. This is you max allowable shock length.

The shock range (open length to closed length with bump rubbers fitted) is be about 3".  This wants to be split roughly 1/3 to 2/3 between droop and bump (or maybe as much as 50/50). ie about 1 to 1.5"  droop range and around 1.5 to 2" bump range.

So, if (for the sake of arguement) your nominal length (measured in 3 above) is 11.5" then you want the open shock length to be 12.5 to 13". (i.e. 11.5 plus 1 to 1.5) HOWEVER (and this is where I came unstuck) you want the open length to be LESS than the max open length measured in 5. This ensures that when the suspension is unloaded the travel is limited by the shock and not some other part of the system like the top ball joint- which might then fail!

Hopefully this makes it clear. For my car these 13" would have been ideal for my ride height but I found that they were stressing the top  balljoint. So I have changed to 12.5" and set the rideheight a bit lower to compensate.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.