Is there such a thing as a last second bid?

Greenstreak-Andy D

Had my eye on a new printer on ebay.

With less than a minute to go a bid was placed higher (Bidder X) than mine.....so as fast as i could type i put a higher bid on, only to be outbid by ANOTHER bidder (bidder Y).............!

What the &$£*^*! happened there, checked the bid history, outbid by 23 seconds!!

Any ideas? Did the seller have another alias?

Just sounds to me like you have been out bid by another bidder ???

I only ever start to place my bid in the last 20 seconds. By the time I have entered it there's only about 5 seconds left, so no time for anyone to respond. :devil:

Probably had a snipe tool which puts his bid in at the last 5-10 seconds.

Used this a few times and it's won me quite a few items :D

Tigger

no snipe tool required. I regularly win auctions in the last 5 seconds

Winning things in the last 5 seconds when items are listed for 10 days really seems to drag the whole affair out to its maximum for me  :D Oh the drama  :0

Ok so i've learnt to leave it to the last 5 to 10 seconds on the CONFIRM BID button!

Rudy *ell, will put any items i have on closing time 2am! Just out of spite! :p

Rudy *ell, will put any items i have on closing time 2am! Just out of spite! :p

If you want to get a good price, best time for auctions to finish is probably Saturday or Sunday afternoon or early evening. That way there's plenty of people available to make a last minute bid...

Andy

So why bid on anything till the last 5 seconds? Just watch items then hit it at the last second

If it was the case that everyone did this, then items could be picked up for less...i think people are getting wise to ebay, maybe its days are numbered???

eBay *really* need to introduce an option that extends an item by x minutes for a last second bid. It would be in their interest too as items would go for more...

I carn't understand why people bid on items B4 the last 10 Sec's or why people put stuff on for 10 days...... :zzz:

I like Graemes Idea, may be the item sells 1Min after the last bid.....Would be good for sellers but maybe not for buyers ???

Personally i use www.auctionsniper.com/ especially if i'm not going to be near a computer when the auction ends......... :t-up:

I use auctionsniper as well I reduced the lead time to 1 sec.

Makes sure you win ;)

I carn't understand why people bid on items B4 the last 10 Sec's or why people put stuff on for 10 days......  

works both ways...

Sometimes bidding on stuff earlyto get the price up a bit  has the effect of making people think the item is going to do a fortune and scares them off to buy same item off someone else before the item you bidding on finishes , leaving you with a bargain  :t-up:  ;)

( jeff cooper  ebay addict )  :down:  :down:  :down:

Then again, where items are advertised elsewhere, they sometimes get pulled off Ebay before all the last minute guys have a chance to bid.

I hate the leave it to the last second approach. But thats just the way it is  :down: Hypocritically, (I suppose), I also use auctionsniper.

At the end of the day it's an auction, the person with the best bid when the hammer falls is the winner. It's no good thinking after "I would have gone £2 more" because it's to late. The only time you want to be in the lead in an auction is at the end.

Happy biding.

Cheers   Graham. :)  :)  :)

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.