Polished Screen Pillars with Mirrors

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

Bought only this week from another member but they don't fit my earlier (1994 chassis number) wide bodied car - unbeknown to either of us!  :(

If you have a wide bodied car with a post 97 chassis number (according to Westfield) these are for you.  :) Complete with convex mirrors and in pristine condition. Offers please.

A bit of research on Pistonheads classified photographs suggests that post 1996 might be more accurate. :)

Now with picture!

pillars.jpg

BTT :0

I'm curious. Why don't they fit? From looking at my narrow car and my wide car side by side, I believe they could/should be an acceptable fit on either car. If my narrow car didn't have a cage, I'd be trying to make these fit...

The wide part at the lower end has a much more pronounced curve on it than that on the current pillars. According to Westfield, they changed the shape of the scuttle in about 1997. When the pillar is offered up to the scuttle it goes nowhere near the body before it comes to a stop on the screen fillet. This would be possible to avoid by fettling the fillet (probably), but even with the fillet moved aside the lower end of the pillar - where the holes are - touches at the top and bottom with a big gap in the middle. What's more, on a more minor level, the hinge pitch is different and the position of the holes in the scuttle is different too.  All in all, not a good prospect for fitting.  :down:

I see. I'll have to see if I have a contour gauge lying around for a proper look see...

I see. I'll have to see if I have a contour gauge lying around for a proper look see...

That occurred to me, the famous 'Mimic' may have to be dug out. It *might* be possible to re-shape them by filing, but as there's no guarantee and they stand me in for £80, I felt a bit nervous about trying. If they don't sell, though......  :0

I have an air powered die grinder too, which has just made short work of cleaning up a Jenvey inlet manifold, so if you want to have a go, but don't want to spend all day with a file and a Dremel, let me know...

Thanks, Blatters. :)  I might well be left with no option but to take you up on that. It seems a bit drastic from where I'm standing right now, but who knows? ???

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.