4 point harnesses

Tony Hughes

Help!  There's probably an obvious answer to this one .....

When fixing lower 4-point harness brackets to the threaded bosses in the frame - how the **** do I stop the bracket rotating as I tighten the bolt?  I've tried different combinations of washers but all fail!

Grateful for suggestions ....

Tony

From memory, I believe that they must be free to 'rotate' for SVA if you still have to go there so don't do them up too tight. I can't remember how I stopped mine rotating. Seem to think they would only do up so far  ???

Anyone else ???

There should be a stepped sleeve that goes between the belt bracket and chassis to allow the belt to move.  A crinkle washer should be fitted between the belt bracket and sleeve to stop the belt rattling on the sleeve.

Hi Liam.  Hows things?

There were no bushes with my Westfield belts.

Mine did not rotate with the bolt, suggest you file out the hole slightly. I only managed to fix mine by putting straight spacers behind the plate, otherwise the belt was trapped against the side panel as mine were not cranked. I had to get longer bolts so that from underneath the bolt came to the end of the threads in the tunnel. A possible SVA fail so I was told, also the bolts should be stamped 8.8.

My car passed SVA and I didnot notice the guy check any of the mountings closely.

Richard

Thanks guys,  according to Westfield the brackets don't need to rotate with harnesses.  All production cars have the stepped spacers and crinkly washers with inertia belts.  Westfield supplied bolts are not stamped so as the factory cars pass SVA these should be OK - depends on the examiner maybe - sounds like the consistency among examiners is comparable to that among Premiership referees!

Tony