Just sampled bike power

slippy

Check the 1/4 mile video link in the SS pages posted recently. Ignore the duffed up start and concentrate on the terminal speed. BEC couldn't make it to 3 figures, CEC was 10mph faster at the finish line...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• slippy

• Blatman

• ChrisG

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh , there is no doubt in my mind a half sorted car engine would be quicker than a busa top end, Ive struggled against a couple of cec"s once I get over 100mph, nowt like a big lump of torque to get a car moving, standard busa struggles higher in the speeds. :(

fwiw Ive seen some very quick vx and  duratec powered westys in action,  :cool:  :cool:

Have to say though that i followed (or should that be tried to follow   :0   )  a Busa engined 7 on the way upto Totalkitcar show and it sounded   :love:   :cool:   :devil:

I am wound up now.

ARM is bl**** quick in his car and on 1A tyres as well.

He would be quick in most cars cos he can drive but if you look at last years times some BEC Busas were quicker and at 3 slappers only Smiffy beat me IIR.

But if you want to know how quick you and your car are then please enter Speed Series and the clock will tell. It is not all about terminal speed and at Mallory and Cadwell I am not flat out in 6th. I might just be at Croft and will be at Aintree over the finish bouncing off rev limiter at 122mph due to gearing :D

Think have read somewhere a busa will do 1/4 in under 11 secs ??? dont know on speed but would be very suprised if it wasnt cracking well into  3 figures ???

that link.. think that must have had  an owld rd 250 coffintank engine in that one :D  :D

11 secs for a road car would be outstanding. Trust me a quick quarter mile time is not as easy as it looks...

Have a read of the 1/4 mile times here. Ian Crocker doesn't deal in bull, and there are some *very* good Westfield pilots in there...

The Curborough sprint to the line is a good indication. From the top hairpin to the finish line is around 150yds. Exit speed from the top hairpin is 20 to 30 mph then its pure grunt to get to the finish line and record a speed (and a time).

Quick as the BEC are they dont match a decent CEC for that grunt and are in the region of 7 to 10 mph slower (unless they are super or turbocharged). Thats not down to driver ists just pure grunt - fact.

Over 100 mph the gap widens even more.

On the twisty bits different story.

Think have read somewhere a busa will do 1/4 in under 11 secs ??? dont know on speed but would be very suprised if it wasnt cracking well into  3 figures ???

Busa 7 in about 12.5s at 108-110 mph.  Leave the engine in a bike and it's 9.8s or so for a stock bike.

Once again Ash is spot on .BECs are slower in straight drag against the big Vauxhalls at Curborough but this year some of them might have a bit more grunt than last year ;)

When did you ever see go karts at Curborough !

I'm not keen on Curborough, it doesn't suit my car. However its a lot more technical than most places.

So where would you like to discuss times CEC vs BEC ?

I thought Curborough is technical as well and would imagine be great fun in a go-kart (ignoring the start stretch) but cannot for the life of me understand why we have to refer to Curborough as place to assess your car. After 30-40 seconds (what ever you drive) it's over. One mistake what ever you drive your time will be crap. But I think sprinting is generally like this. More emphasis should be on driver, than power/car.

And as for discussing CEC V BEC's there is no discussion, I have never seen a n/a BEC powered Seven quicker than mine, but TBH thats not a fair comparison, my Duartec isn't standard, but most Busa'a are.

Oh, and I'm not prepared to argue against a SR4 Radical, thats a no no   :p

One mistake what ever you drive your time will be crap. But I think sprinting is generally like this. More emphasis should be on driver, than power/car.

Exactly! Sprinting is more about driver than car. My 240bhp car, which *is* well enough set up, is beaten by much less powerful cars with better drivers in them.

It is *precisely* because a single mistake is costly that us sprinters enjoy it. Loop it in a race, and as long as you don't hit anything you stand a chance of catching up, and you can still set fastest lap even if you come last. There are no second chances in a sprint...