• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• slippy

• Blatman

• ChrisG

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh Ive watched a  couple of the oldies   on sky  :D  :D

Prefer   Aufedersen Pet (spelling!;) ... quality viewing  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :D  :D

Aufwotsit....now that wos a classic pet.Some great brickies sprung t'fame from that series.Aligator sandals...who sang that then  :p

yeh Ive watched a  couple of the oldies   on sky  :D  :D

Prefer   Aufedersen Pet (spelling!;) ... quality viewing  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :D  :D

Think yer hit the nail on the ed there.Kinell wot a giveaway  :p

Hi Chris

We will agree to differ mate.  Perhaps if you are up for it you could have a blast in my V8 and vice versa.  

My car is total stripped out so i believe it is closer to 600kg than 650.  Can you really get a Westy down to 400kg???. Look forward to meeting you sometime, perhaps we can carry on the debate then. :D

Kyle

Hi Kyle, apologies if my post sounded a bit antagonistic towards you, Ive no doubt your car handles bl**** well, I just couldn't see how it (or any other car the same weight) could brake quite as late or or corner quite as hard as a similarly set up car thats 200kgs lighter on the same tyres etc. My "see you on track" comment was meant in good humour and I wasnt saying that my car is or isnt quicker than yours cos they are obviously quite different, just pointing out that a BEC does have advantages at some points on the track to an equivalent CEC and it not just being a case of all through the corners at the same speed then those with most power blitzing the straights.

As for the 400kg thing, its difficult but possible, Al's Megablade thats for sale at the moment was around 400kgs when he first put it on the road ISTR, its probably a couple of kgs more now as it now has heavier wheel/tyres and also a cage, but it can be done. My Locost is live axle'd (which saves a few kgs compared to an IRS setup) and weighs around 420kgs without many super lightweight parts, other BECs like Richard Miles's R1 Striker were under 400kgs wet.

I'll take you up on the offfer of a passenger ride sometime :t-up:

ATB

Chris

Yep, it was about 405kgs with fluids (but only a few litres of fuel) when it was first built (with magnesium wheels, ACB10s).

Its about 440 now since the addition of the cage, electric reverse, anti roll bars, heavier wheels and tyres.

*cough* 354 kgs..*cough*

but im not getting into yours is quicker than mine debate,it all depends on which track etc,mine goes well at sharp twisty tracks,but gets hung out to dry at places like cadwell etc..

you got to enjoy your westies though....

Barney

You must have done a lot more than replace ali panels for carbon, to get down to that weight!  :t-up:

Fill the chassis tubes with helium!

If you paid attention to every tiny part on the car, used a narrow bodied live axled car, spend loads of money I wouldn't think 354kgs was completely unfeasible. And I've heard Barney does go to those troubles!

Anyway, my good man, one finds one v8 jolly good in ones range rover vogue at pulling ones horse box out of ones muddy paddock at ones daughters gymkhanas, but one prefers to keep the race-bred engines for the race tracks!

;)

And I've heard Barney does go to those troubles

might do but i weigh 94 kgs so ive got to do something.the cars still got an ally floor,and even got cortina uprights(must do something about that for next year).

:D  :D  :D

And I've heard Barney does go to those troubles

might do but i weigh 94 kgs so ive got to do something.the cars still got an ally floor,and even got cortina uprights(must do something about that for next year).

:D  :D  :D

What else have you done to get the weight down so low ?  ???

bit of a list..

its a narrow ,live axle car which helps.

its got lightweight bodywork(as can be bought from Westfield)

wilwood front Dynalite calipers

sierra rear calipers (hoping to change to willwood powerlite radial calipers (1kg each!!)when funds allow

dave booths lightweight discs allround

no dash using the fireblade clocks and firblade loom

polo rad

fibreglass highback seat

carbon interior panels from Mickmade

stuart taylor floormounted pedalbox(replaced steel pivot pins with alloy t6 pins)

stuart taylor alloy paddleshift

alloy front hubs

Mickmade front widetrack rosejointed

rear trailing arms rosejointed and polybushed

bike battery

T45 rac roll bar/rear stays

custom sprint fuel tank (read small..)

bailey morris lightweight prop

rs2000 halfshafts machined down

carbon front wheel arches

nas bolts are used on all suspension points

Crossply avon slicks,now on Barmby rims

and some titanium fasteners here and there.

:D  :D

ive used the stuart taylor engine cradle which isnt the most lightweight of things ,but ill have to look at it when i get a chance,but it also ties the chassis together at the top chassis rails which i beleive will assist stiffness.

cheers

Barney

That's a mighty impressive spec, now I see how you get under 400kg.

What's the difference between they standard and light weight bodywork, besides the obvious? :p

Hi Chris

We will agree to differ mate.  Perhaps if you are up for it you could have a blast in my V8 and vice versa.  

My car is total stripped out so i believe it is closer to 600kg than 650.  Can you really get a Westy down to 400kg???. Look forward to meeting you sometime, perhaps we can carry on the debate then. :D

Kyle

Hi Kyle, apologies if my post sounded a bit antagonistic towards you, Ive no doubt your car handles bl**** well, I just couldn't see how it (or any other car the same weight) could brake quite as late or or corner quite as hard as a similarly set up car thats 200kgs lighter on the same tyres etc. My "see you on track" comment was meant in good humour and I wasnt saying that my car is or isnt quicker than yours cos they are obviously quite different, just pointing out that a BEC does have advantages at some points on the track to an equivalent CEC and it not just being a case of all through the corners at the same speed then those with most power blitzing the straights.

As for the 400kg thing, its difficult but possible, Al's Megablade thats for sale at the moment was around 400kgs when he first put it on the road ISTR, its probably a couple of kgs more now as it now has heavier wheel/tyres and also a cage, but it can be done. My Locost is live axle'd (which saves a few kgs compared to an IRS setup) and weighs around 420kgs without many super lightweight parts, other BECs like Richard Miles's R1 Striker were under 400kgs wet.

I'll take you up on the offfer of a passenger ride sometime :t-up:

ATB

Chris

Chris

No offence taken mate, i very much enjoyed our well meaning debate.  

Cheers Kyle

calling the V8 boys can anyone match this for straight line grunt :D  :D

supposed to do 30-130mph  in 6 secs !

clickety!

bit of a list..

nas bolts are used on all suspension points

cheers

Barney

Thanks, I think my car is physically too big to be as light as that ! :bangshead:   Interesting list though :t-up:

What's a nas bolt ?