Cleaning salt

kik1.6se

Agree with Blatman, its all about prevention than cure. Forget WD40, get some ACF50, much better. Each application can last upto a year (Providing your not out with the jet wash)

If its good enough to use on millions of pounds worth or planes its good enough for my westie :D

Agree, my mate with his sportsbike uses it throughout the winter with ACF50 applied. IT REALLY WORKS and cleans off with soapy water. :) I don't plan to drive my car on the salty roads but if I did I would definitely use this. Scotoiler do a simelar product which is cheaper and I used it on my bike with fair results but next time it will be ACF50!!

• 1 year later...
you can also use an airline with air blaster to dry off you car - works great to get water out of unreachable places..

• 2 months later...

i tend to use white spirit particularly on my ali panels, all my panels are bare & this tends not to attract so much dirt & dust like WD40 & a damn site cheaper to, anyone else found that?

i tend to use white spirit particularly on my ali panels, all my panels are bare & this tends not to attract so much dirt & dust like WD40 & a damn site cheaper to, anyone else found that?

What is it with reviving old posts ???:D And yes I've used white spirit but I guess it provides no protection after you've cleaned the panel.

i'm just bored :down:

Bored reviving some posts that are five years old  :D  Now that is bored  :p   :)  :)

• 11 years later...

Old posts are only old to those that have seen them before. Tbh I think most of the older posts and threads need going through and re-doing, many of them are not a lot of use to us newbies because pictures, graphs and various other links and attachments no longer work making the thread in some cases a bit useless. Probably impossible to do but it would be great for peeps like me who are gradually working their way through years of previous topics 

18 minutes ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Old posts are only old to those that have seen them before. Tbh I think most of the older posts and threads need going through and re-doing, many of them are not a lot of use to us newbies because pictures, graphs and various other links and attachments no longer work making the thread in some cases a bit useless. Probably impossible to do but it would be great for peeps like me who are gradually working their way through years of previous topics 

Agreed but who are you expecting to do this?

4 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Agreed but who are you expecting to do this?

I'm not expecting anyone to do it. Obviously it's totally impractical to do that. Would take forever. My point was more (and poorly made by me) why do the links, pictures etc disappear? Is it a storage thing? 

27 minutes ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

I'm not expecting anyone to do it. Obviously it's totally impractical to do that. Would take forever. My point was more (and poorly made by me) why do the links, pictures etc disappear? Is it a storage thing? 

Hi Steve, when I joined back in 2015, we didn't have the facility to store images on the club server. Hence many of us used other photo storage sites. Some of these sites may have closed. Equally links to other websites can get broken if the website makes changes.  

At some point since 2015, the club moved to allowing us to host pictures on our own servers, so moving forward the problem will not occur.

I went through my build thread and changed my remote hosted pics to ones of the forum, and it took some time.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ian

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Hi Steve, when I joined back in 2015, we didn't have the facility to store images on the club server. Hence many of us used other photo storage sites. Some of these sites may have closed. Equally links to other websites can get broken if the website makes changes.  

At some point since 2015, the club moved to allowing us to host pictures on our own servers, so moving forward the problem will not occur.

I went through my build thread and changed my remote hosted pics to ones of the forum, and it took some time.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ian

Thanks Ian that's an excellent explanation for a newbie like me. I'm so glad I finally joined the WSCC, so much knowledge on here it's incredible! 

• Like 1

Yep, exactly what Ian said.

I’m afraid 80+% of the broken link photos are probably effectively gone forever. As many of the members that posted them originally have long since moved on to other things. So we can’t get fresh copies.

That said, it’s relatively unusual, (though does happen), for an issue to have never been had by anyone else. So posting up a link to a key post and asking if anyone can help clear up what was meant frequently works. 

• Like 2