4 Point Harness Mounting?

marccus

I am still a bit new to this so can anyone help and tell me where the 4 point harness mounts itself on the vehicle?

The lap straps obviously mount to the original seat belt mountings but where do the shoulder straps mount on the car?? Are there fittings there already for the eye bolts or do i have to drill some and where??

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. ???  ???

Depends on your chassis TBH. But I expect there are two threaded sections behind each seat on the chassis rail, level with the top of it, you need the spacers on the eye bolts too.

They'll be on the rail behind the seats. I guess you need to remove the boot box to reveal them as you haven't spotted them already. On my '98 car the boot box certainly covered them.  You have eye bolts I assume, and you'll also probably need some spacers to place on the eyebolt shafts if you retain the boot box so that the eyebolt can be tightened down properly.  You don't want the eyebolts clamping onto the bootlid.

Should look something like this...

HarnessMounts.jpg

The bosses behind the rail are the 4 point harness mounts and the lumps of metal on top of the rail are the inertia reel mounts.

I'm looking at fitting mine now as well, what size spacers would i need?

is it just enough to clear the eye bolt from the bootbox?

???

From memory they are about 40mm. It's also to ensure that they are fixed no lower than the shoulder height of a driver? If I remember correctly.

They HAVE to be the correct high strength eye bolts and spacers though, I'd suggest you make sure you have the correct ones from the factory. It is a safety device after all.... :)

Thanks for the info.  :t-up:

The eyebolts came with the Sabelt FIA approved harnesses so i assume they should be up to spec?

I'll speak to the factory about the spacers  :t-up:

Its a 1993 SEIW chassis if this helps

You might only have two threaded bosses, one behind each seat  ;)  ;)  ;) in which case you'll need 3 point harness  :D  ;) which are fine for road, trackday or sprint/hillclimb use  :D  :D

Thanks for all the info everyone. After removing the boot box all became clearer, i have 1 boss for each seat, so it looks like 3 point harnesses will be fitted.

Is this now just a case of drilling the bootbox screwing in the eye bolts and connecting the harnesses or is there something else??

I see that spacers have been mentioned above but i cant see the need for these???

Thanks again. :)

I see that spacers have been mentioned above but i cant see the need for these???

You will when you come to screw in the harness eyelet  ;)  ;)  :D

I would image that the eyes have to be above shoulder height in the event of an impact. If the belt was retained below the shoulder the weight of the body thrown into the belt would compress the body (downwards) until it was able to level itself out at the restraint point. Mounting above the shoulder would prevent this. ;)