Which type of aerosreen?

Simon Furbank

Hello All

Has anyone got an opinion on the merits of the two styles of aeroscreen?

It looks like the Westfield/Playskool style (double hump) would give better protection from the airstream but is this so?

With the Tim D/Will maskell style do you need a helmet all the time?

Any advice/suggestions gratefully recieved

Simon

No matter which you go for Helmet alll the time is preference specially at high speed as those little bugs sting like hell when they hit you in the face :oops:

I'm going to have a TimD/Maskell one for sale in the next week or two if your interested? Its black but could easily be painted.

I wear helmet for motorway but on a roads/back roads there isn't too much air blast from the westfield factory aero and polycarbonate shades are adequate for me

The Playskool aero crates a little more buffetting as the "flip" profile at the top of the screen is not as great and therefore does not appear to deflect as much air above your head (Damn good value though)

Not been in a car with a TimD/Aerodynamix screen so can't comment but it's obviously a lot lower so I'd imagine the air rush would be far greater

Easiest way to assess them is to go for a ride in a car with them fitted.

I have the Westfield type, and you get a fair bit of protection from the slipstream, but at speed, it buffets as I am sure they all do.

As for helmets - I'd recommend you always wear one, a stone hurts when it hits at 40 mph!

As for helmets - I'd recommend you always wear one, a stone hurts when it hits at 40 mph!

As do bonnets at 60.

More usefully... I have a westfield one and I don't get any more turbulence than I do on the bike, that is it never occures to me that there's too much turbulence if you see what I mean. I guess that may be because I'm used to the bike.

I had a Tim D one fitted and at 110+ (on the track) it felt like your head was going to get ripped off below this it was not too bad. I have not had a try yet with my Plays-Kool one yet.

I had a Tim D one fitted and at 110+ (on the track) it felt like your head was going to get ripped off below this it was not too bad. I have not had a try yet with my Plays-Kool one yet.

Yes, I had a TimD screen and found that my helmet was being lifted off over about 65 (I wouldn't know what 110 is of course  ;) ). I now have a Westfield item and it doesn't.

However, your own height/how far you stick out of the cockpit is an important factor. I swapped my Tim D with Mark Jackson's Westfield item and I believe he finds the Tim D fine (or did do up to lap 2 session 2 Mallory :oops: ) Sorry if I'm being heightist Mark   :D

Helmet mostly except local hooning :t-up: