6" front and 7" rear?

Molydood

I have decided that I would like to move to 13" wheels but I am a little confused about the choice of 6" or 7".

Some people seem to run 6 all round some 7 all round and some 6 front and 7 rear. I can understand the 7 on the rear if you have a lot of power for the extra loading but not sure why the 7 on the front would be needed?

hence not sure what I should be getting. I want to use the wheels for track and road, probably with an intermediate tyre like 21r or t1s

any advice appreciated :)

Martin

Unless you're running big power you'll be ok on 6" all round.

T1's are not available in 13" but you can get plenty of cheap sticky tyres in 13" (especially 185's).

Most people use a 185/60/13 although I believe a few have used a 70 profile to get a bit more ground clearance.

I've run 185/60/13 all round on my 185ish bhp VX for a couple of years(road and sprint) and will be running the same with my new VX which promises a GOOD bit more power.

Don't be tempted however to put a 205 on a 6" rim...Been there; done that ...And it's CRAP

thanks Scott.

I have just looked at my wheels trying to figure out what size they are, I know 205 tyres are on there at the moment, but trying to read the stamping, which is obscurred by wheel nuts, it seems to be 6.5" wheel.

Can I still put a 185 on? Or should it be 195?

185's will be fine on a 6.5" rim. I have a pair of 185's on some 7" rims. No worries...

After a bit of research I have ended up putting 205/60x13 on some 7" Compomotive CXRs.  I went for the 7" all round as a means of being able to swap tyres front to rear as my V8 is very good at spinning the wheels...

...or should I say I'm not very good at getting the power down without spinning the wheels  :blush:

I've just had a look at the CXR range and they do a 6.5"x13 and I wouldn't have thought that was an odd size?

I run 195's on 6.5" rims and they would take 185s no problem.

185/70/13 A021's from George Polley  :t-up: Around £40 each inc. VAT and a good soft all rounder. My choice especially if you don't do a lot of miles every year.

Slightly harder compound but still seems popular is the Yoko A539, whilst the winner of the comedy award goes to Avon CR322. Rock hard but a light weight tyre and quite progressive - Caterham fitted them to the cars that they had at Autosport doing drift laps. :D

Are we talking about your 13" wheels now? Unusual to find a 6 1/2 x 13 wheel...What are they?

Scott, I have confused you, sorry. I was in fact talking about my existing 15" wheels as an interim solution before I commit to getting some new 13".

Initially I was considering getting some 13" wheels ready fitted with tyres, as it would probably not cost much more than new tyres on their own (which are needing replacement).

But now I am thinking I may just put some 185 onto the heavy 15x6.5 wheels I have already. hmmm, anybody got any decent 13" wheels with tyres they want rid of? Im looking to save rolling weight primarily

thanks for all the help so far

Martin