Cosworth powered Westfield

Pit Bull

AFIACR having 20 on the side just means that it's a bog standard 2ltr pinto block of the less desirable sort.  

Completely agree with that.

I thought that the 200 block was a Cosworth block, but it was also sometimes fitted to late model injected Pintos as Ford sought to use up stocks of the blocks before going to the Zetec/Mondeo model, but I'll stand to be corrected on that...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pit Bull

• Blatman

• cng1

• craater

That does agree with my understanding.  So if you're in the pinto world then you want a 205 over a 200 over a "20" unless the 200 is actually a cossie one, in which case you want that instead.  Clear as mud I hope.

Blatman, that doesn't agree with my understanding.

200 blocks are the original "pinto" style casting which evolved into the stronger "205" block.  For the cosworth block they created a new varient based on the 200 block which was much stronger, far more so than the 205 block.  These cosworth blocks are labelled "200" and are the most desirable.  Later cosworth engines used selected 205 blocks straight off the standard production line, the selection criteria being largely down to bore size, with all the bores needing to be sized 2 or 3.  The "200" cosworth blocks are about 7KG heavier than the "205" blocks but are needed in turbo applications when you go above 400bhp.  There is another flavour of cosworth block and that is the RS500 block which is effectively a heavy duty cosworth 200 block which weighs *another* 7KG more but in combination with the right turbo was putting out >850bhp!

If it's a genuine cossie block look at the stamping down by the sizzy, it should be 4 digits, all of which should be 2 or 3, this is the bore grading, if it has the numbers 1 or 4 in it then it's a standard pinto block.

All the cosworth blocks are marked as such with a YB engine number stamped into the block, there will also be a number stamped into one of the lugs by the bellhousing, this should be something like N1C.

Agree with cng1 on all points except one, I've never come across the 'additional' 200  block you talk about for the RS500.  The RS500 used 205 blocks. The 200 block block came in effect after the RS500 has ceased production and the sapphire based model was released.   ???

Pretty sure there never was an original pinto 200 block.  The 200 block was the upgraded block for the 4x4 engine.  It needed stronger webbing on the side lugs for the front diff to mount too, which is where most of the extra weight comes from.  As I understand it the only 200 block is specifically cossie.  205 were specially selected pinto blocks.  Some pinto blocks are 205's and some have either no number or a 2 didgit number on the side - not entirely sure.  202 is a transit block that is potentially stronger than a 205 but not worth the hassle.  I did have a list of what the last 2 letters on the engine number meant - but i've lost it.  RS500 bits are rare as hens teeth so its highly unlikely you've got one of them.

Bob, that's cos you have a 4x4 greentop, best of the factory cossie setups.  There's still an awful lot of room for improvement though, leave me alone with your head for an evening and I can get an extra 20bhp without having to crank up the boost.

Give me a week of evenings and an opportunity to get the inlets line bored and I can eek out 270bhp without increasing boost beyond factory specs and without changing turbos.  FWIW My engine is currently injector size limited at 320bhp and just under 1 bar boost, standard stage 3 conversion only gives you that power at 1.6bar!

Just to give you even more comfort about your green top, not only do you have the stronger block (200) but the 4x4 head was the best version with improved cooling over the 2wd head.   :D

hi guys as a new owner (and fairly clueless) of a narrow bodied cossie turbo westfield i'd just like to say how much i appreciate all the info from those that know. cheers stan

Never heard of a 200 block.... (doesn't mean there isn't on though!;) The 20 block was definitely the older Pinto 2l block. 205 has more meat around the pistons & can be bored out, npt a good idea on a 20... 205's were developed for the cossie, as is often the case they then made it standard for all pinto's cause it's cheaper. Crank & rods are diff in the cossie I think though...

Dan :)

Crank & rods are diff in the cossie I think though...

Yup, steel.  Reported to be good to 500bhp+ or 9k rpm

Just be careful - quite a few years back there was an atmo cossy built by a guy near stourbridge who wedged the engine into a narrow chassis  :oops: in doing so he removed various structural members  :durr:  :durr:  :down:  :suspect: - Looked the dogs nads even if it was green with yellow nose ........... but a car to be avoided  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :down:  :down: Hopefully car is long gone and stripped out........... but you never know  :down:  :down:

I've got a Cossie in a narrow chassis.  It can be done.  Mr Aspden *really* enjoyed making it fit properly...  :D

Blatman, that doesn't agree with my understanding.

200 blocks are the original "pinto" style casting which evolved into the stronger "205" block.  For the cosworth block they created a new varient based on the 200 block which was much stronger, far more so than the 205 block.  These cosworth blocks are labelled "200" and are the most desirable.  Later cosworth engines used selected 205 blocks straight off the standard production line, the selection criteria being largely down to bore size, with all the bores needing to be sized 2 or 3.  The "200" cosworth blocks are about 7KG heavier than the "205" blocks but are needed in turbo applications when you go above 400bhp.  There is another flavour of cosworth block and that is the RS500 block which is effectively a heavy duty cosworth 200 block which weighs *another* 7KG more but in combination with the right turbo was putting out >850bhp!

If it's a genuine cossie block look at the stamping down by the sizzy, it should be 4 digits, all of which should be 2 or 3, this is the bore grading, if it has the numbers 1 or 4 in it then it's a standard pinto block.

All the cosworth blocks are marked as such with a YB engine number stamped into the block, there will also be a number stamped into one of the lugs by the bellhousing, this should be something like N1C.

Providing you're not venturing too far over 200bhp and don't rev over 7000rpm, the Pinto block and crank are fine.  In fact the Pinto crank is lighter than the Cossie one so as long as you don't want to push it, then it can actually be a more desirable option.  As for the block, replacement, mint, unground Pinto block £50, unknown quantity 205 was £150...  I stuck with the Pinto  :t-up:

Its taken slightly longer than expected to sell my Elise but she goes tomorrow. So I will be over to see the Westfield on Friday and hopefully get to the bottom of what is actually fitted in the engine bay....wish me luck