• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pit Bull

• Blatman

• cng1

• craater

What colour / where is etc is this one you're looking at pit bull?

Cheers,

Mark.

It is a bright yellow 'R' plated wide body with 14" alloys, full wet gear and approx 7k miles on the clock. It looks mint but being a novice with these cars I would not know where to look. It is being sold by a dealer in south Birmingham for just under £9k.

Sounds about right.  Decent spec turbo cars haven't been making that much more than 10k in recent years.  Second hand cars really aren't fetching what they used/ought to these days.

Sounds about right.  Decent spec turbo cars haven't been making that much more than 10k in recent years.  Second hand cars really aren't fetching what they used/ought to these days.

Darren Cudds Cossie was lovely & went for less than what it was worth   :down:

Pit Bull

Here are the results (or as many as I could get) of my look at the Westfield.

It's OK, you go to your petrol head function at the NEC or NIA, I'll do your groundwork for you!;).

Let's start with the bit that I couldn't be certain about - the block.  I'm not an expert on ford engines but I could make out the following on the LHS of the lower block area "35020...85HM 6015B-B (the last bit might have been 8-8 not sure.  It certainly has a Cosworth head).

The head honch of the emporium (who knows more about this car than his staff) wasn't available but his right hand man reckons that it has a Sierra 5 speed gearbox and clutch with LSD.

Chassis number (from a diagonal crossmember near the bulkhead) is SA9WSE11CVX039286 - You'll be please to know that it's the same on the plate mounted on the bulkhead!

Carbs are Delorto 48s.

Late folding weather gear.

Manifold by Mike the Pipe.

Silencer is huge and by Techcraft (it's a repackable unit) from Roy Lane?.

Winged adjustable seats (black with yellow piping).

White dials.

BK Racing Alloys with Yoko 8520s.

But, apart from the legal stuff (paperwork-wise), there's no history with the car.

Knowing what block and crank are in there is *crucial*...

On the nearside cast in to the block at the area around no2 and no3 pots should be a two or three digit number. If it's a two digit number 20, this is a Pinto block. This has implications.

If it says 200 or 205 then they are Cosworth blocks and all is well...

Blatman, that doesn't agree with my understanding.

200 blocks are the original "pinto" style casting which evolved into the stronger "205" block.  For the cosworth block they created a new varient based on the 200 block which was much stronger, far more so than the 205 block.  These cosworth blocks are labelled "200" and are the most desirable.  Later cosworth engines used selected 205 blocks straight off the standard production line, the selection criteria being largely down to bore size, with all the bores needing to be sized 2 or 3.  The "200" cosworth blocks are about 7KG heavier than the "205" blocks but are needed in turbo applications when you go above 400bhp.  There is another flavour of cosworth block and that is the RS500 block which is effectively a heavy duty cosworth 200 block which weighs *another* 7KG more but in combination with the right turbo was putting out >850bhp!

If it's a genuine cossie block look at the stamping down by the sizzy, it should be 4 digits, all of which should be 2 or 3, this is the bore grading, if it has the numbers 1 or 4 in it then it's a standard pinto block.

All the cosworth blocks are marked as such with a YB engine number stamped into the block, there will also be a number stamped into one of the lugs by the bellhousing, this should be something like N1C.

Just phoned the dealer to have a shuftie (armed with the feedback thus far) the only cast numbers on the nearside that he can see without removing the air filters are 9686?

Doesn't help does it...

Blatman, that doesn't agree with my understanding.

200 blocks are the original "pinto" style casting which evolved into the stronger "205" block.  For the cosworth block they created a new varient based on the 200 block which was much stronger, far more so than the 205 block.  These cosworth blocks are labelled "200" and are the most desirable.  Later cosworth engines used selected 205 blocks straight off the standard production line, the selection criteria being largely down to bore size, with all the bores needing to be sized 2 or 3.  The "200" cosworth blocks are about 7KG heavier than the "205" blocks but are needed in turbo applications when you go above 400bhp.  There is another flavour of cosworth block and that is the RS500 block which is effectively a heavy duty cosworth 200 block which weighs *another* 7KG more but in combination with the right turbo was putting out >850bhp!

If it's a genuine cossie block look at the stamping down by the sizzy, it should be 4 digits, all of which should be 2 or 3, this is the bore grading, if it has the numbers 1 or 4 in it then it's a standard pinto block.

All the cosworth blocks are marked as such with a YB engine number stamped into the block, there will also be a number stamped into one of the lugs by the bellhousing, this should be something like N1C.

*Shrugs*

The two Pinto blocks in my back garden both have 20 on the side.

I agree that they'll have YB engine numbers though, so maybe that would be the most reliable comparator...

AFIACR having 20 on the side just means that it's a bog standard 2ltr pinto block of the less desirable sort.  

I used to have documented somewhere all of the various codes/clues to cosworth block identity however I'm damned if I'd know where to find it, which is annoying as it would be a really useful resource to have on the web.