Which rubber to use on a 13" wheel

alex205

Hi

Been searching but can not get my exact problem sorted!!!

I have got a set of 13" x 6" RS 4 spoke wheels which I am going to get refurbed but I am not sure which rubber to put on them it is for a pinto'd SEIW it will mainly be used for mainly dry road use though I want to do some track days  :D

I am therefore trying to work out what tyres to get, looking at either Yoko's A021 as these are meant to be a very good road tyre, but they will not last more than a few laps on a track or a set of A048's but I am not sure I will get the full benefit of these on the road? Also as they are soft will still wear them out in 3-4k miles and not use to their full potential

Help please, or any other alternatives I have looked at the R888 which seem to be a little more expensive than the 48's (£261) and £100 more expensive than the 21's?

Lastly I have noticed that a few people have stated that with the 48's you need at minimum a baffled sump due to the increased grip even for just road use in order to avoid oil starvation

:0

There is no correct answer to this really. I use 21s on the road, but that's just me. Other's use 48s (and their predecessors, 32s) and speak highly of them.

One thing as regards longevity, unless you're doing lots of miles a year, there's no point (IMO) getting a tyre that will last 15,000 miles, cos after a couple of years (elapsed time) they'll be going hard and offer little grip anyway...

The oil starvation issue is something you'll need to convince yourself of. It is a potential problem though.

Andy

There is definately info in the archive that will help you so persevere with a search.  But...

21 are fine for road but may overheat on a dry track so maybe not a great track tyre but excellent for the road.

48 (what I use) great all rounder except for standing water but like you say wear rate is high.  My rear tyres lasted less than 4k miles.  I don't think there is much in it between these and R888's from what I've read so it would come down to who offers the best deal.

After that, I'd look at yoko A509's (or whatever they're called now), or Toyo T1s.  They'll last ages with reasonable grip.  Cheap as well.

As for the sump.  If the cars going on track I'd be inclined to fit a baffled sump whatever tyre you're using.  If you go super sticky, then you'll probably have to consider a dry sump but it depends a lot on what engine you have.

Even on the road, with not so sticky tyres, I was able to get oil surge with a *big* stop. You only need to lose pressure once...

If sticky tyres (AO48's/R888's), or even new not so sticky tyres (Yoko A539/Toyo T1S) are on the menu, a baffled sump is a *very* good idea, and much cheaper than a blown engine...

thanks for you help/comments on the tyres, does anyone know any places to get cheap Toyo tyres ie an equivalent of George Polley Motorsports?  :)

I am going to investigate my sump :D as it has been cut down and you never know may have been baffled at the same time...