• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

10" trailer tyres

John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison

Hi all,

The time has come to get some new tyres for my BJ Minno trailer - 10 x 145 x 80.

Does anyone know where I can buy this size cheaply on the net preferably in re-inforced 6 or 8 ply?

I've tried www.mytyres.co.uk but they seem only to do ordinary car tyres which are 4 ply

Thanks,

John

a new jokey wheel

Post a few of them on here if they're any good.

:)

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the offer. I've stripped my tyres off the wheels and binned them as they are now 7 years old and bald. I'm also having the wheels blasted and pianted whilst they are bare.

Just looking for reasonably priced 8 ply tyres. I've found some on www.blackcircles.com for £35 each of an unheard of brand but thats not fitted and I was hoping for something of a better brand.

John

I got some decent new ones from Chemix (Halesowen Branch)  ;)

a new jokey wheel

Post a few of them on here if they're any good.

:)

Andy

Have you heard the one about...

:p  :p  :p  :arse:  :blush:

Would you belive a Jocky wheel from Indespention is £30 and it's £55 from BJT + carriage  of £12.50 :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :blues:

We don't do that size at Pirelli, I don't know of any of the main maufactures that do to be honest.I've just replaced my 13" wheels with extra load P3000 Pirelli

I think they're only 3 ply and wouldn't last long

Buzz

So tyres for a 1 tonne Mini are of inferior quality than for tyres for a 1 tonne trailer? Can't get my head round that at all. The tyres for the Mini will be consstructed to travel at higher speeds and carry more weight. How can they possibly be of inferior construction?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just surprised. I'm going to trawl the web...

Yep. I also know that the National Trailer and Towing Association makes no mention not being able to use "normal" tyres, and there are no 8 ply tyres listed...

Tyre spec here.

Tyre ratings here. Not an 8 ply in sight...

Yep. I also know that the National Trailer and Towing Association makes no mention not being able to use "normal" tyres, and there are no 8 ply tyres listed...

Tyre spec here.

Tyre ratings here. Not an 8 ply in sight...

Yes but do they say you can and would you risk it with your pride & joy on said trailer all for the sake of a few £ ???

I wouldn't use car tyres personally as proper 6 ply trailer tyres withstand the inevitable clouting over kerbs that they get when you have to take a sharp corner and don't have enough room to take a wide sweep and if you just rub along a kerb they don't puncture as easily.  :t-up:

The NTTA web site appears to make no differentiation between car tyres or trailer specific tyres though. Or I'm reading it wrong.

I'm NOT trying to start an argument, I'm just surprised that trailer tyres are apparently made to a superior specification than car tyres, which also have to stand up to hitting kerbs on top of going faster and carrying more weight. Can someone point me to some specifics where I can read about trailer tyre construction compared to car tyre construction?