wheels

jago

Blatman,

Did you get any further with this?

I'm asking as I would like to space my rears out a bit as they are way inset. I've currently got ET37 with a 10mm spacer fitted and the tyre face is about 50mm inset from the outer edge of the arch. Pretty much what Peter is experiencing.

The arches are detachable - not sure if they are extra wide or not but I measured across the top of the arch and it's about 240mm across. Any comments????

Andy i think you ahve one of the earlier SEiW's which had shorter rear wishbones/driveshafts...... about 1" either side ???

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• jago

• Peter Cox

What you are doing in effect is widening the front or back of the car... You are correct, doing it on the front makes it bite harder. Its the cheap way of wide track suspension. Your bearings will feel the pressure and wear out a tad quicker.

Wider track suspension is the way to go.

Adding spacers to the wheels makes negligible difference to the characteristics and dynamics of the car, simply because the measurements are so small. In the case of most Westfields, the spacers are added simply becuase we can't get the wheels we want in the correct offset. The spacers help to correct what is effectively a fault in the basic set up. For instance, I have a set of wheels for the track car which only come in an offset of ET37. The sprint car needs an offset of ET23, so I will add spacers to give me that measurement and return the set up to it's designed parameters.

If you want to actually have a noticeable effect on the handling or wheel track, then wide track suspension is the way to go. Both my cars have wide track...

Thread drift,  :D

Q for Blatman  ???

Has your neighbour across the road took them fairy lights down yet? cos they were still there on Jan 16th   :zzz:

Blatman,

Did you get any further with this?

I'm asking as I would like to space my rears out a bit as they are way inset. I've currently got ET37 with a 10mm spacer fitted and the tyre face is about 50mm inset from the outer edge of the arch. Pretty much what Peter is experiencing.

The arches are detachable - not sure if they are extra wide or not but I measured across the top of the arch and it's about 240mm across. Any comments????

Andy i think you ahve one of the earlier SEiW's which had shorter rear wishbones/driveshafts...... about 1" either side ???

You are bang on there nanas, my mate bought Andys old wheels, but before we left I measured the rear track of his car, it was exactly 5 feet (60"). The wheels didn't fill the arches & were ET37.

Got home & put the same wheels on my mates car which is approx 2 years newer, rear track width is approx 1.75" wider and the wheels fill the arches perfectly.

Both cars are SEIW's but the earlier car's chassis was made in 96 approx and the later car has a 98/99 chassis so therefore westfield must've changed the rear wishbones/driveshafts in late 96 or 1997, I wonder whether they originally used narrow body rear wishbones on the early widebody cars, anyone have a narrow body irs car with ET37 wheels that they could measure, blatters?  :D

anyone have a narrow body irs car with ET37 wheels that they could measure, blatters?  

First pic on page 3 is a narrow IRS car with ET37 Superleggerras on...

And yes, Westfield used *identical* wishbones on both narrow ans wide cars until quite late in the 90's. My green car has the wider wishbones on the rear, and proper wide track on the front.

From what you have said, to reduce an ET add spacers, e.g. ET37 add 12mm spacers to get ET25  ???

What happens if you have a recommended ET of 23 and your wheels are ET19 ?   ???  ???

Then you need to find someone with a *big* lathe...

But it's only 4mm after all. Unless the tyres are rubbing the arches, it'll make b******* all difference to the handling and it's not gonna harm anything else either, so I wouldn't worry...

you could look into getting a bit of meat machined of the back of the wheel , there is a place local to me does it , just make sure theres plenty on to start with...

I noticed the minilite copies are all cast with et5 , but are machined to your requirements , so if buying second hand always measure the backspace...

:t-up:

edited to say ... blatters must have turbo charged fingers on the keyboard  :D  :D  :p  :0  :0

A side benefit of spending a lot of my day sat at a keyboard. I'm at well over 30wpm typing these days...

Then you need to find someone with a *big* lathe...

But it's only 4mm after all. Unless the tyres are rubbing the arches, it'll make b******* all difference to the handling and it's not gonna harm anything else either, so I wouldn't worry...

Looking at a set of 6x13 minilites this weekend (hopefully), with ET18 running 185/60/13 Yokohama AO48.  Being fitted to my 89' narrow body.

Concern now if they will fit  :(  ???  ???

Look back at P3. The last picture is of a 205/60/13 tyre on an ET23 wheel.

a 185 tyre is 20mm narrower than a 205, so that makes it 10mm further away from fouling the arch.

An ET18 wheel is 5mm further out than the ET23 wheel, so a 185 tyre on an ET18 wheel will see the tyre 5mm *further away* from the wheel arch than it is on my 205-60 ET23 set up.

Simple...