wheels

jago

Nope. The storgae charge is mounting though :oops:

And please tell me you measured the wheel and not the tyre when you measured the offset...

"storgae"  :p  :D

Pedant.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• adhawkins

• jago

• Peter Cox

The perfection of the tyre shouldn't be too much of an issue though, because the odd millimetre out isn't going to cause too much of an issue I'd hope.

At least it'll tell me if they are closer to ET5 or closer to ET30.

Now just have to get off my :arse: and measure them...

Andy

...is the floor perfectly flat? :p  :D  :D

Well, I did the measurements.

132mm in one direction, 89mm in the other. I reckon this makes the offset

(132 - 89) / 2

so about ET21

So my car needs something lower than this (to move the wheels out).

Anyone need some 13 x 7 minilite copies in ET20 ish? ???

Andy

Ok, I did the same measurements...

Floor to hub side (face up) 120.00

Floor to hub side (face down) 60.00

Therefore Offset is +30.00

But gap between tyre and arch is approx. 75mm, so required offset is...oh f**k it, I'm off to a wheel supplier in march...they can measure and supply.

:zzz:

Ok, I did the same measurements...

Floor to hub side (face up) 120.00

Floor to hub side (face down) 60.00

Therefore Offset is +30.00

But gap between tyre and arch is approx. 75mm, so required offset is...oh f**k it, I'm off to a wheel supplier in march...they can measure and supply.

:zzz:

For chris' sakes Peter...

What size tyre gives you a 75mm gap? Are you planning on bigger tyres? Do you have a detachable arched car? You mght have a set of extra wide arches on there.

Your gonna keep me awake....

wow :0  :0  :0  this some response im impressed thanks guys :D  :D

Yeah but did we ever answer the question, and if so, did it make any sense? It'd be a first for a discussion about offsets...

Anyway, for the hell of it...

Over the weekend, I tried a couple of things with my new Superleggerras....

Firstly, this is a 15x7, ET37 Superleggerra on my narrow bodied car.

6261.jpeg

Then I spaced the wheel out by 12mm, making it an ET25.

6260.jpeg

Check how much more of the upright you can see at the bottom where the wishbone connects. As far as I can tell, with the ET25, you'd get a 205-50-15 under the arch, a 195-50-15 should easily make it. With ET37, a 205-50 would be nicely inside the arch.

And for the sake of completeness, here's what I currently run:

6262.jpeg

This is a 205-60-13 on a 13x7 ET23 rim.

If get a chance, I'll do all these puctures again on a SEiW detachable arch car...

[/ramblings of a mad man...]

• 2 weeks later...

Blatman,

Did you get any further with this?

I'm asking as I would like to space my rears out a bit as they are way inset. I've currently got ET37 with a 10mm spacer fitted and the tyre face is about 50mm inset from the outer edge of the arch. Pretty much what Peter is experiencing.

The arches are detachable - not sure if they are extra wide or not but I measured across the top of the arch and it's about 240mm across. Any comments????

Not yet. My cars are currently stashed several miles apart and getting them together to photograph them is going to take some effort. I *will* get around to it, but it won't be soon, unless we have a warm sunny weekend...

I've even planned how I'll go about it so that both cars and the camera are precisely positioned on my drive so that the photos look the same for a visual comparison. But I haven't done it yet. I will though. I may even do a write up for the magazine... :0

And reading another thread has just reminded me...

My green car in the avatar is a detachable arch wide bodied car. To the best of my knowledge it runs 15x7 wheels with an ET37 offset, but I need to check to make absolutely sure which I will do soon.

On the rear, I have 15mm spacers, meaning a net wheel offset of ET22. It is currently shod with 195-50-15 tyres, and I'm confident that 205-50's will fit without issue. They'd better. I have a set waitng to go on :0

On the front I run 6mm spacers making the front wheels a net offset of ET31. The differing spacer sizes is entirely a cosmetic thing to enable me to get the look that I like, and for no other reason.

Dont know much about Westfields but will a wider track not affect the dynamic characteristics of the car? I know it made a hell of a difference in my 205 but thats fwd...

A common performance modification on a Westfield is to fit wider track suspension to the front. I presume that's to give the front end more grip.

Not sure if spacing the wheels out will have the same (or similar) effect though.

Andy

What you are doing in effect is widening the front or back of the car... You are correct, doing it on the front makes it bite harder. Its the cheap way of wide track suspension. Your bearings will feel the pressure and wear out a tad quicker.

Wider track suspension is the way to go.

The car Blatters is talking about (the green one) doesn't see a track often I don't think. He has another car for that!

Andy