• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

What's the most sentimental car you've owned?

Peter Cox

Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8Lsi, unique limited edition.

New car forces sale...

Unique = performance art is etched on every panel

Limited = it has sedentary capabilities

Edition = it's worth some paper (green paper, but not much of it)

It's registered from January 1995. I am the fourth owner. The first was a bloke who bought it new, 2nd was the garage he sold it to at 18,000 miles, 3rd is Liza who bought it in October 1995 with me, 4th is me (can't remember why we transferred it, I'm so tight it was probably after an argument :D ). It has 135,000 miles now with a full service history (except maybe the last year which balances out the number of years I serviced it more than required...d'oh). Taxed until end of March 2006 but no MOT (yet...and then I'd ask for some more moolah).

It also has added extras: -

- Electric front windows (which still work)

- Electric aerial

- Full set of mats

- A broken rear ashtray

- Something rusty in the engine bay that doesn't seem to bother the engine

- In built humidifier in the boot (a small crack where the rear bumper secures to the rear of the boot floor, which I'll get someone to weld for a few quid (if I can find a welder)

- An authentic Cavalier boot tidy (without the clips to secure it)

- Good spare wheel and complete original jack set

- The sentimentality that it was the first car that Liza and I owned and the one that took us to Scotland and back for the honeymoon ( :blush::love:  :D )

- Upholstery in good state for it's age

Unless otherwise mentioned, everything works, it goes, it stops, started it for first time in 10 days on Saturday, fired 1st time.

I think the current tyres will want changing soon (see below), relatively new battery (2002), radio doesn't seem to want to receive AM and the tape is intermittent.

Autotrader are showing similar cars from £450 to £1100 (he'll be lucky!?!;). I'm asking £495 ono (and I mean ONO as I want it off my drive before Xmas).

I'll also throw in (for FREE) the 4x CR228 14/195/60's that came off the Westy a few months back. They'll fit the Cav but they're just the wrong size (I think the Cav is 14/185/60).

Almost sniffly thinking about it going...how sad is that?!?

Make me an offer (for the CAR :oops: ) OR tell me I'm barking, just don't ignore the Cav, it's meant a lot to us.

My British Racing Green Rover 416GTi, despite the fact it was badged as a Rover it was actually a Civic with a boot.

It had a 128bhp non-vtec 1.6 Honda motor that revved into the middle of next week. As well as elcetric windows all round, electric sunroof, electric mirrors, leather, the whole nine yards... s**t was it quick, I had a mate at college with an Orion 1.6i Ghia (XR3i with a boot) except his was bored to 1.8, with a big valve ported head and a cam and he still couldn't keep up with my little old Rover...

Only downsides were, it went through brakes like they were going out of fashion (4 sets of discs & pads in 4 years...) and they never wore out, they turned into popadoms, well know problem it tunred out. And the viscous lift off over steer! Ask the Armco central reservation...

:blush:

Mine was a midnight blue Midas Silver Coupe (one of the first Mk2 monocoques) Mini based kit car.

I built it with my Dad over the course of a couple of years, origionally fitted with a 1100cc Mini clubman (62bhp) motor (maxed out at 110mph) and drum brakes all round (ooohhhh f**k they were scarey with their massive fade) and weighed in at 490kgs.

The final evolution was an all steel (all the steel bits were from Cosworth) stage three 1480cc A+ MG Metro engine with a Jack Knight five speed gearbox and LSD.

The motor was pushing 132bhp on split 45 Webers and pulled like a train up to 7K rpm

The car eventualy sprouted drilled/grooved and vented Metro Turbo front discs with KAD 4 pot calipers and the tyres grew from Goodyear Grand Prix S 155x70x12 to Goodyear NCT 185x60x13# and the weight dropped a bit too.

I used to be able to chew out a set of front tyres in 3000 miles as you could steer the car on the throttle coming off rounderbouts (or pretty much any corner)

With Mini Spares fully adjustable bottom wishbones, Mini Sport HI/LO suspension and Koni Dial a Ride dampers up front, Avo coil overs at the back and the addition of a quick rack the car was one of the best handling motors I've owned.

At 18 years old I thrashed it relentlessly for five years untill it was written off by a Volvo estate at about 90mph on the M40 (walked away without a scratch).

Midases come up for sale now and again and I'm allways tempted.

Chaz.

Strangely enough...My vote goes to my 1.5 Diesel Corsa, which did me 60,000 trouble free miles at 55-60mpg...I then wrapped it around an oak tree, roof stoved in, engine moved through 90'degs. a total write off. Not a scratch on me, and got 500 quid more than I paid for it from an insurance payout.

I like the way you grouped

- The sentimentality that it was the first car that Liza and I owned and the one that took us to Scotland and back for the honeymoon (     )

together

I've got almost exactly the same cav for sale,

except its done less miles and has a small (large) dent in the rear passenger quarter and a slighty bent rear axel (no problems for the last 35k)

Suzuki swift 1.3 Gti, 120bhp and all I did was fit a full janspeed and a K&N.

Won my first sprint at Elvington with this.

On my return I rang well lane turbo's enquiring about a chip and asked if it would raise the rev limit, I explained I had hit the limiter a couple of times at about 8.5k. I was a little concerned when their reply was "suzuki swifts don't have a limiter sir, it must have been the valves"

No damage done though, did another 45k and it never missed a beat.

Wife went mad when i came home with a pot (it was only 2 days after I had borrowed and paid £5k for it).

She had questioned why I was taking my lid and suit before I went but I had managed to convinse her it was on the off chance of a 2nd driver in a friends car.

:D

1964 Mini 850 1 year older than me........... :D

Had/abused it at Poly......

Bus steering wheel, goose neck gearlever, starter button on the floor, sliding windows....... :love:  :love:  :love:

I have vivid memories of bombing round a corner on 2 wheels, to find some dozy student stood in the middle of the road hopping from foot to foot, sh1tting himself............ :D  :D  :D  :D

When i got it, it had xplys on, what a difference radials made :t-up:

- The sentimentality that it was the first car that Liza and I owned and the one that took us to Scotland and back for the honeymoon (     )

together

believe me, the 1st draft was more controversial :oops:  :D

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.