• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Rear shocks

adamnreeves

I have installed the shocks at the rear. The upper mount on the chassis is wider than the shock eye and bush by 7mm and the manual only details use of two washers on the outside of the bracket only. Is this normal?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• perksy

• Baldeagle

• Peter M

7mm sounds far too big a gap.   I'd ring the factory, and see what they say.

Just been back out to the garage, god it's cold. I thought I'd measure things. The shock as 40cm long, the eyes with bushes give a final width of 32mm. The chassis bracket is 39mm. Incidentally I thought I'd measure the front chassis brackets and they are guess what, 32mm! I think they have sent me front ones by accident maybe? The springs are white. The manuals says that the shocks can be identified as G948, where is this mark I have looked everwhere and cannot see it?

I think I shall call the factory as you suggest.

Got a picture Adam  ???

Yep White springs do go on the Back   :t-up:

Yep, just taken. I obviously have not tighten the bolts but 7mm still suspect I think!

IMG_0248-703585.jpg

Hi Adam,

I have just taken my standard Westfield rear shocks off for upgrade and they definately have washers on the internal sides of the bracket.  Unfortunately from your photo it doesn't look like a couple of washers will make much difference. :(

Darren

Had same problem on my build,spoke to mark at westfield,said put a washer either side of shock.

Thanks Peter, the washers are 3mm thick so that should sort it out. Incidentally whilst on the subject of washers and the fact that the manual does not seem to be that accurate as to where they should be used and because I am thick! no seriously I am surprised that there is no washer is required between the outboard bush on the rear lower wishbone and the upright and no washer is required between the lower shock bush and the upright. I did not want to jsut add washers here in case of upsetting the geometry but I think that the bush has steel sleeves that would be making contact to alloy, the fact also that it would be an edge of the sleeve of only few millimetres meaning the pressure is concentrated even more, surely this will form a ridge, not sure if that would be a problem anyway. I am technical in case you didn't notice, sadly not mechanically technical, at least not yet.

:)

Hi Adam,

I have just taken my standard Westfield rear shocks off for upgrade and they definately have washers on the internal sides of the bracket.  Unfortunately from your photo it doesn't look like a couple of washers will make much difference. :(

Darren

Hard to estimate from the photo but the gap is 7mm and the bolt is not tighten, but I guess this would make little difference to the gap anyway, not sure what torque value yet, the washers are 3mm each therefore the gap is reduced to 1mm, maybe when bolts are torqued this gap will disappear but if not then 0.5mm either side is maybe okay?

???

Is the rear most of the two upper mounting brackets parallel to the front one?  Probably just the angle of the photo, but it looks like it is bent slightly outwards, so the remaining 1mm of 'slack' you have should tighten up with the bolt.  Torque value should be in the build manual somewhere.

When I took the bolt out of the lower rear shock mount I had- (starting from the front) bolt head, large washer, shock, smaller washer, upright, large washer, nyloc nut.

Don't know if that's any help, but that's how the factory put it together on mine.

Darren

Adam

Don't Fully Torque Tighten the Mounting Bolts for the Shocks or the Wishbones until the car is on the ground with the wheels on.

Otherwise you will 'preload' the Bushes,

and they Don't like being 'preloaded'  :oops:

HTH

Is the rear most of the two upper mounting brackets parallel to the front one?  Probably just the angle of the photo, but it looks like it is bent slightly outwards, so the remaining 1mm of 'slack' you have should tighten up with the bolt.  Torque value should be in the build manual somewhere.

When I took the bolt out of the lower rear shock mount I had- (starting from the front) bolt head, large washer, shock, smaller washer, upright, large washer, nyloc nut.

Don't know if that's any help, but that's how the factory put it together on mine.

Darren

More to so with angle of photo but as I have not tighten any nuts/bolts, the 1mm will probably be taken up yes.

I shall check the washer situation with the factory because there does seem to be differences in the manual, fellow builders and factory builds. This would lead me to believe that is not harm add extra washers, if not then I shall be installing extra ones for peace of mind. Thanks

Adam

Don't Fully Torque Tighten the Mounting Bolts for the Shocks or the Wishbones until the car is on the ground with the wheels on.

Otherwise you will 'preload' the Bushes,

and they Don't like being 'preloaded'  :oops:

HTH

I wasn't going to torque up bolts until the manuals says so, but I suspect that this will not be with wheels on and on ground. I presume you have to nip up the bolts prior to lowering to floor and then torque up. However I can imagine access to the bolts whilst wheels on and on floor is tricky?  ???