Wet tyre

conibear

But to travel 6.5 hours to do maybe 4 laps in the rain is a bit of a no brainer IMHO      :D

I can't disagree, you have no brain

If thats your feeling you shouldn't be srinting or hillclimbing at all! The whole attraction is not the time on track, but the discipline itself which requires a perfect lap with the preparation, concentration and technique to provide it. If hammering round and round is your bag, then go racing, but if the potential for damage is too high, then stick to trackdays. Believe me, the competition in sprinting is severe, with no hiding place!

Get up to the nearest events, it'd be good to see you

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Mark Stanton

• conibear

• adhawkins

that said we always try and have Lydden on the list which actually attracts one of the smallest turn-outs for the SS ?????? ?

At the risk of sounding "north-ist" - on the whole, I think you'll find that there's a good solid hardcore of southerners who travel substantial distances/times to regularly get to the northern events, but the vast majority of usual suspects who live up north won't venture down south. Can't say I blame them - why bother when there are plenty of good circuits within a reasonable distance. Hence I don't really think it's fair comment to say that the southern rounds like Lydden are poorly supported and imply that it's the southerners' fault. On the whole I think they are poorly supported because the majority of people from up north won't travel that far, whereas a lot of the northern events are well supported by us southerners who will!

I think it's a of a vicious circle - there aren't many events down south so a number of WSCC people have decided to do other series' instead of the speed series.  Then because of that, there aren't many people at the event, which in turn means that there is not much competition for those who do go.  Although Lydden may have had a poor turnout, I bet most of those there were southerners...

Yep, I bet that's true. I wouldn't mind trying Chivenor though, the venue in the video that matt seabrook took looks really good

At the risk of sounding "north-ist" - on the whole, I think you'll find that there's a good solid hardcore of southerners who travel substantial distances/times to regularly get to the northern events, but the vast majority of usual suspects who live up north won't venture down south. Can't say I blame them - why bother when there are plenty of good circuits within a reasonable distance.

True that not many Northern folks go to Lydden - shame cos its a good track.

That said Mrs W - there's a good number of Southerners that don't seem to attend Lydden - for whatever reason ???

That's all I was trying to merely note - not to cause the great Norf / Sarf debate  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

That said Mrs W - there's a good number of Southerners that don't seem to attend Lydden - for whatever reason ???

Hmm...

Lydden is nearly as far from me as Ty Croes is...

Andy

However a few southeners seem to make more noise about a lack of southern events than the remainder of the club put together.

:devil:

I hope that not referring to me as thats not what I was implying. I am well aware of the support to the SS from the centre of the country and thats why most of the events are based there, it makes sense :D

The caterham sprint series is also based in the centre of the country and utilises if not all, most of those circuits as does the WSCC SS. So there is probably something like 'can't get foot in the door' syndrome for some southern venues.

FWIW, I will sprinting at Lydden on 29th October, not sure if this is a WSCC SS event though ???

Still, I only wanted to know about wet tyres, thanks to those that have advised :t-up:

If your not restricted to tyre choice it has to be Avon wets*... just make sure it's wet when you use them as they wear/over heat rather rapidly when the track is dry ;)

* other manufactures make wet race tyres but some are not radials so need a different set up (presuming you are running radials and  have a ‘radial’ set up) and Avon have given good service at a reasonable price in my opinion/experience

something like 'can't get foot in the door' syndrome for some southern venues.

That does seem the case at times  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :bangshead:  :bangshead: We keep trying  :)

Still can't understand why Lydden doesn't attract more "local drivers"  ???  ???  ???  ???

Because we suffered twice at the hands of the inept organisers. I realise that we now share with a different motor club, but once confidence has been knocked like that, it can be difficult to get back despite the change of circumstances. Also IIRC it clashes with Le mans. It's definitely an event I want to do, and I like the track so I will return, as long as it's not Le Mans weekend or a bank holiday...

Because we suffered twice at the hands of the inept organisers.

Many years ago - since which time assurances were given that the SS would never again attend an event organised by that particular club - The club we now work with on not just Lydden but many other events has a very good reputation  :D  :D

Le Mans - DOH can't do owt about that  :D

Many years ago

Er, 2002 and 2003. I didn't go in '04 or this year 'cos it clashed with Le Mans and/or my car wasn't ready. Like I say though, I realise that we have since taken action with regard to the organising club, and it's an event I am keen to attend. Lets see what '06 brings...