Live axel diff oil replacement

congorobot

I have a live axel westy and would like to check and replace the diff oil. I looked at the axel yesterday and am unsure. Looking from the back of the car, on the back of the diff there is a large plug. It is about one third of the way up the diff cover, (I would have expected if it was the filling point it would be a little higher?). There is also a plastic cap on the top of the axel a little to the right, is this some sort of overflow release valve? There has been oil coming out of this! Is that bad or just what happens?

Diff oil generally doesn't need changing. It is designed to be left in for life, and just topped up as and when necessary. The plug is indeed the filler. Jack the car up so that it is level, remove the plug (a bare 3/8ths ratchet will do) and fill the diff until oil flows out. Replace the plug. Job done. Go for a blat...

The other thing is the breather. Yes, oil will come out. Most of us have (I hope) added a piece of hose and moved the breather as high as posible to help prevent as much oil as possible from being thrown out.