reliable?

goaferboy

8years of ownership, had a few - electric related, water pump, running out of fuel...etc

but get breakdown cover and whats the problem?

just remember if you need recovery to tell them what car it is - otherwise the bloke turning up will have to phone a friend (with a droptail ramp)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goaferboy

• Blatman

• jak

• KerryS

Top Posters In This Topic

Done 3500 miles in mine, lot of those on the track. Only time it stopped was when the fuel pump fuse blew, diagnosed in seconds.

Same as any other machinery, reliable when looked after, they are so simple the majority of maintenance is by look touch & feel.

Plus the grin factor is massive  :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D

Westy owners are total social animals which makes for monster amounts of fun  :t-up:   :t-up:   :t-up:   :t-up:

Get one, you wont regret it

I'm now on my 2nd Westfield, the first one never broke down, present one - one of the rear shocks came off it's lower mounting due to the fact the previous owner hadn't fitted it properly (I should have checked I know).

As for work, yeah loads of work on both, it's called "Upgraditis", you will catch it if you get a Westfield :D:D:D

Tigger

Plus the grin factor is massive  :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D

Westy owners are total social animals which makes for monster amounts of fun  :t-up:   :t-up:   :t-up:   :t-up:

Get one, you wont regret it

Totally love ours, no probs with reliability at all!

Social animals?.........ooooooooooohhhhhhh yeeeeeeeees :p  :p  :p  :p  :t-up:  :t-up:

Isn't just asking for trouble all these folks saying how reliable their Westys are?  :p

Kerry S

ive done about 40,000 miles in mine in the last 4 years.  my driving style is not mechanically sympathetic.

ive come home on the back of a low loader twice  :down:  :down:

once when a rear rose joint failed and the guy who built the car didnt use penny washers so i broke the rear wishbone as well :angry:

the second when the dry sump belt came off at croft and i sezied the engine.  now have big fsck of oil pressure warning light.

other failures that i managed to get home with - fuel pump started to give up the ghost.  kept tapping it with hammer to restart it and then replaced.

gearbox seized in fourth, whilst on a tour of scotland.  why worry i have plenty of torque :D completed the tour (another 500 odd miles) and drove the car home and put in a replacment gearbox.

crank sensor got stuck between the block and the cam belt causing it to wear through - spliced in new wire and carried on.

went through a phase of burning out ignition switches, just used to shove the wires together.  now permanently fixed.

leaking seal on one of the brake callipers, simply replaced.

lots of other little failures, and im sure I will have forgotten a few.  i now try to replace stufff before it breaks.  this  is a novel approach fro me and im finding it a bit of a culture shock :)

How the car is used and the state of tune the engine is in will have an effect on how reliable it is.  Most of the engines are designed to run around all day at 2-3k rpm taking kids, shopping etc here and there, when you start driving the doors off cars asking the engine to run at high rpms, standing on the brakes and throwing it round corners then you put more stress on everything and stuff can brake if it's not looked after, same for a tin top as it is for a westy. :D:D Just your more likely to do it more in a westy :p

mine is a vx one, built by me and my dad, had it 1.5 yrs, done about 2500 miles and only problem was coolant pipe popped off on its maiden journey and the front left indicator stopped working (crappy quality item) and thats it! Been 100% reliable

Isn't just asking for trouble all these folks saying how reliable their Westys are?  :p

Kerry S

I believe Kerrys' car as been totally reliable.  :D  :D

John

Kerry S

I believe Kerrys' car as been totally reliable.  :D  :D

John

Bas***d :suspect:  :suspect:

I'm saying nowt

Kerry S

Mine had to come back on a lorry once when a gasket blew, fixed next day, by comparison, i have had new cars every two years for work, Vauxhall Cavalier, 7 miles on clock broke down, Citroen zantia broke down 7 times before they found out what was wrong in the first 3 months, Citroen C5 developed a brake fault at 30000 miles which citroen eventually took the car back, renault laguna last one had a turbo and bits but was at 125k by that time, so chose one again and at 16k it is had a gearbox already. It is not the type of car it is the driver, my transport manager says, and how it is built I say. If you get a well built car you will have no problems over and above the normal day to day trials and tribulations.

I've had my car for three years and I have done 6000 aggressive miles and a few track days.  It started life as a cvh and now is upgraded to a Vx....I've never had a breakdown or mechanical failure.  

So bo**ocks to all those that slag off our cars  :bangshead:

They are the best driving experience you can have for the money...it helps if you like mental driving  :p

Thats done it, I'm excpecting a breakdown very soon  :down: