• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Concerning changing to Typ 9 gearbox

Steve L

Hi, I currently have a 4-speed type 2 gearbox on my Kent engine. I bought a 5-speed type 9 (N3) gearbox, the sort with the longer input shaft. (I am planning to fit it this winter.)

I was told in this forum that I can either put in a spacer to accomodate the longer input shaft or cut the end off. I also had learned that I would have to have the propshaft shortened.

Now I have a question about the output shaft.

The type 9 has an output stub shaft with a cast flange having 3 bolt holes. The propshaft for the type 2 box has an output stub shaft with a simple fork which attaches to a U-joint.

Yesterday I tried slipping the output shaft from the type 9 box into an old type 2 box which I have lying around. It did not fit. I had assumed that I would be able simply to shorten the propshaft from the type 2 and slip it into the type 9, but it doesn't look like that is going to work.

I am sure that several of you have done this conversion already. How did you do it?

Thanks for any tips,

Steve L in Germany