Which Tools are needed

Barnster

Hi There,

I am currently at the point of obtaining all the tools I need to start my build.

Any advice on suitable places for obtaining imperial spanners and more importantly sensibly priced socket sets/bits/rails.

I have a 1/2" drive complete metric set which is top notch but I'm being quoted more than double the price of this for 8 imperial size sockets which seems excessive.

I'm also having trouble locating the 18x1.5 tap.

Any help is appreciated.

B

I'm also having trouble locating the 18x1.5 tap.

This is a spark plug tap

A quality pop rivet gun or an air powered one you will see why if you are fitting he alloy pannels

You will need some AF spanners and sockets for the suspension the rest is meteric

You will need two torque wrenches look in the build manual for the ranges ignor the 250lbft one as this is the hub nuts and best done at a garage or borrow mine [they are 4ft long]

Just buy the tools you don't have as you need them

Any advice on suitable places for obtaining imperial spanners and more importantly sensibly priced socket sets/bits/rails.

Here

Also here

Halfords proffesional range are good, as you can get them replaced at any halfords no questions asked if they break.  Their ratchet spanners are brilliant too.

I'll second that .they are always there ...... they replace broken tools without question and  are open sundays when you are more likely to need them .

The superstores have a fantastic range too .......... brilliant.

-  All the suspension holes were already cleaned out by the factory on my module build so no need for the large tap. Only used a cheap m6 and m5 set from halfords for some smaller jobs.  

-  Ratchet spanners are worth their weight in gold, Halfrauds have a good set on offer at the moment.

-  Decent drill that has reverse (for drilling the fibre glass)

-  Bought two torque wrenches 10-80nm and 30-210nm but hardly used the larger one so would suggest only buying the smaller and borrowing the larger.

-  Most if not all suspension bolts require 5/8" spanner/socket so don't need to buy a full set

-  Cheap rivsert tool www.nfauto.co.uk have a good budget set.

-  Dremel or equivalent was very useful.

Can't think of any more yet

TED

:D:D

Thanks for the feedback guys - I had discounted Halfords but sounds like it could make sense trying them!

Also some good sites for other bits - I must be using the wrong search engine......

B

I bought the whole lot from halfords in one box, £100 instead of £150 everything you need and more! As mentioned you can take them back if they break, which is one less thing to worry about :D

They are always doing deals too... worth a look first

Buy some second hand Snap-On on ebay......

You cant get better! :D

Just buy the tools you don't have as you need them

A very good point; you may find you need a lot less than you thought you did; key points in this are whether you need to do much reconditioning work on parts, and whether you have things like aly panelling fitted at the factory, plus maybe brake lines and things.

As has been said, if your doing the panneling yourself, and already have a big enough compressor, air powered rivet guns aren't expensive, and are well worth while. Alternatively, I hired a cordless rechargeable rivetgun from HSS for a weekend for about thirty odd quid, including delivery and collection at home.

Didn't use any imperial size spanners. Suspension nuts and bolts fit perfectly on a 16mm. Only one allen key for the wiperblades was a 3/32.

If you have access to Costco (you need a card) they do a range of quality tool at very good prices, I notice that you are in south manchester and if you wanted to go I could meet you before next wednesdays meet.

Also EBay tem" target="_blank">M18 Taps