A Good SVA Fail....

MAT1800

Hello All,

Although today has been overshadowed by events in London,

It was also my Birthday and my SVA date!

After working till 2am this morning we set off at 6am to Chaderton, it was literally the first time the car had been on the road, and appart from the Tacho still not working and the gear stick coming off in my hand it went very well.

The car did fail but only on a few points and the general comments from the examiner were, that it was a good build, and that Westfields have always impressed him, apparently far more likely to pass due to various design elements than a lot of 7's.

The reasons it failed were..

(I'll post more details 2 morrow.)

Emmissions - It is a Madness kit, 1800 zetec stnd injection. It was way too high on CO2, he said it seemed to be as if it had no CAT, to which I replied, it hasn't..."Well if its a new engine (new form WF with kit) then it needs a cat ??

I didn't attempt to fix these there due to the fail on emmisions.

Fog lamp and reversing lamp - need to put rubber U chanel on the black plastic casing.

The number plate surrond - again rubber on the back facing edge ?

Inertia sealt belt turrets (4 point harness fitted) - Need plastic cover caps.

4 point harness - needs split rubber pipe on the non-clasp side of the top clips.

Front suspension - Need to replace foam padding on roseball joint with rubber padding.

Engine bay - Need to put hose clamps on the enigine side of the fuel feed and return, the one I fitted were clamped but not the engine side. Might be a approved fitting, might not, He recomended it though, so better safe than sorry.

Speedo - 70, 60, 50, 40, all OK, but 35mph read as 36mph ? Slight tweak there then.

And the usuall rear brake prob. Like I said first time on raod so I thought I'd be OK, just within tollerances on the first 4 pressures applied to pedal, but on the fith and hardest pressure th erears just locked up before fronts.. So New pads me thinks.

And that's All Folks.

I'm knackered but actually very pleased

:D  :D  :D

Just got to see what WF say about CAT etc in the morn, 'cos I'm to tired now. And then see if I can make it to the Manchester Meet in 6 days time...

Mat.

Congrats Mat, glad you are not too disappointed and nothing that can't be easily fixed. :t-up:

It will be interesting to see what WF say about the Cat..

Wayne M

Well done Mat,   :t-up:

How was the water temp in the end, all sorted ??????

Mel

Hi Mel,

Yeah it was all sorted, changed the pipework as previous topic, changed the earth on the temp sender and it was all OK. almost 40miles today ! ! ! And it was Perfectly cool  :cool:

Reasonable day then - better than mine trying to avoid bombs in London!

Emissions - mine too were way too high, CO was about 3% not 0.3%. I found this out from a pre-SVA check by Plays Cool and a thorough MOT test locally. In the end I had to trailer it to WF where Ian re-mapped the ECU and fixed 2 exhaust leaks so passed SVA test easily.

You didn't mention the headlights - there seem to be some duff ones from WF ATM.

Put all the rubber bits on and then let them fall off afterwards. Wasn't there a plastic bag of SVA bits in your kit, these included the inertia belt cover on mine. If I'd known, I could have had these turrets deleted from the chassis apparently at time of order.

Kerry S

Interesting. I don't have clips on the engine side of the fuel feed and return pipes and they don't leak so I think they are a special fitting. I know the pipes from there to and from the tank will leak without clips as I forgot to tighten them and lost loads of petrol before I figured out where it was from. :blush:  :bangshead: .

Also, did n't know about edging on the number plate mounting.

With regard to the cat - how do you know it does n't have one? The silencer don't have any external indication of whether they have a cat or not. I presume you have a lambda sensor in the manifold, near the silencer joint? How old is your kit - when did you collect it?

Anyway hope you get it all sorted & good luck with the retest.

John.

Pleased for ya

now go get a good nites sleep so you can be up early and get it sorted in time for Mancs blat

:D

Hi All,

PistonBroke - that depends on what WF say this morning....

:)

The reults were, at 2765 rpm, CO % = 4.22 (pass level 0.3) HC ppm - 211 (pass Level 200) and Lambda - 0.90 (pass level 0.95 / 1.09)

And at idle rpm = 917, co % = 1.50 (pass level 0.50)

It was the examiners comment that "the results would be almost bang on if it was a car without a CAT fitted" that made me think it hasn't got one? There is no indication of one but as you say there wouldn't be then ofcourse I may be wrong. A call to WF in a bit should sort that one out.  ???

The kit was purchased in april 03, and there is a lamba sensor near the silencer joint, no apparent leaks though.

I did get the SVA kit but there weren't any covers for the inertia pillars. I wish I had known you can get the chassis without them too.

The headlights after quick adjustment were bang on, which was surprising after reading the number of problems with them posted on here.

Oh and for anyone about to go through SVA another couple of points I fogot to mention were.

The headlights brackets - I hadn't fitted the WF covers due to problems I'd heard of with the front edge of the covers. But you need (perhaps, split rubber hose) something to cover the back edge of the very top semicircular part of the braket were the nut goes through.

And he passed the brake line under the driver seat, but recomended that I moved it to the tunnel, as discussed on here before.

The enigne fuel feeds were a grey area, but as it's so easily fixed, better to do it than take any chances.

mat.

I don't think the fuel hoses from the last straight connector to and from the fuel rail have clips on mine either a standard (circa 1995/6) Ford fuel rail etc. They must be special fittings that don't need clips. But as you say, it's so easy to put some clips on, and it will keep the examiner happy.

Your CO2 sounds too high to me CAT or not with a standard fuel system, so it may need remapping as well.  At idle I get 1% CO2 with no CAT on standard Ford injection.

Not too much to do, hope all goes well at the re-test.

Out of interest, how far was the journey to the test centre??  Just wondering as I will be doing the 20mile trip to SVA and was thinking I may have the rear brake problem if they start to bed in quickly.

Regards

TED

:):)

What number did you use for the speedo again? The one where you were out by one at 35mph. Was it 5310??? Can;t remember what you told me yesterday.

Thanks

Dan

Ted - I did about 15 miles to the test centre, so you might have a similar problem ?

Darthus - I thought yours was finished.  :p  :p  :D

From what I remember that's the correct number, but I'll txt you tonight about 4:30 ish when i get in if thats OK, 'cos the manual (where I wrote it down) is at home.

**Actually might have been 5370...txt you later?**

****The Number I Used Was 5310 ****

The latest on the emissions is...

I've spoken to WF, as always, very helpfull.

I've booked the car in for a (post SVA fail appointment) on Tuesday so they can check it over and hopefully / presumably sort it out for me. And it is now perfectly legal for me to drive to a pre-booked appointment to fix problems prior to my re-test.  :D  :D

So a nice trip down the A roads from Manchester to WF, and there's a heat wave on its way.  :cool:

Re-Test booked for Wednesday afternoon.....so hope WF can pull the rabbit out of the hat.  :)

Mat.

Darthus - I thought yours was finished.

It is but the speedo is out by a mile, and I can live with the 35mph being slightly out.

**Actually might have been 5370...txt you later?**

Thanks.

So a nice trip down the A roads from Manchester to WF, and there's a heat wave on its way.

Your a braver man than me, I wouldn't drive all that way on my second run out! Have you got breakdown cover? :D:p

Dan

Mat

It took them 5 hours to sort mine out, but Mark had taken one of the laptops away and the other one died and they then had to re-load the software to Richard Smith's laptop....Hope you get it done more quickly!

Kerry S