Exhaust mountings

jak

Just putting exhaust & manifold on and I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the torque setting for the exhaust manifold to cylinder head on a zetec?

2. Where does the rubber mounting go on the rear exhaust bracket.

Absolutely no reference made to either of these points in the build manual.

Thanks in advance.

John.

Just replaced my exhaust and my understanding is that the Can should sit on the bush rather than being susspended underneath.

Phil

Phil,

I have an L shaped bracket, a straight bracket & a U clamp. I know the L shaped bracket bolts to the spacer that goes through the body and the U clamp goes round the silencer exit pipe and ontothe straight backet, but can't see where the rubber bushing goes. Anyone got any piccies?

John.

Ive no pics and wouldnt know how 2 post em if i did. But rubber bush goes between the L bracket and the U clamp so the exhaust puts it in compresion (if u no wot i mean )

No dought someone techy with a camera will be along soon

Phil

Come and look at mine - in fact you should have looked on Friday!

IIRC the L-shaped bracket has the rubber thing on top but as I'm going to bed now, I'll check tomorrow.

Been out today - you really want to get it finished M8 - it's good fun!! :D

Kerry S

Yes, but I foolishly thought it would be in the build manual. I have assembled it the way you said & seems OK. Do you know is the heat sheild for the silencer a requirement for the SVA, it looks sooo much better without it.

Make the most of the good weather, cos I can guarantee as soon as mine is done it will p**s it down. :down:  :down:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

John.

PS. Do you know the torque setting for  the manifold to head nuts?

Torque settings - no, don't know. Used "feel" to judge. There is the metal gasket thing to compress, so it needs to be more than a light do-up.

Exhaust mount is as thought last night, bear in mind that mine has been re-done by WF so it must be "correct" :p

Sheild covers rear mount; you should have 2 large jubilee clips that need to be undone, threaded through guides in the sheild and then screwed up round the silencer. Set is as far to the rear as possible to cover the agricultural rear bracket.

If you take it off after SVA, see how soon Debs gets a burnt leg getting out :D

Good weather's stopped I see - peeing down here!

Kerry S

There's a thread somewhere on here (admittedly from some time ago), that's got some really clear photo's of an exhaust mounting using a couple of RS component gromits (I used them as reference).

b******* me if I can find it, I suddenly have greater sympathy for all those who don't find what they're looking for after a search.

So, that's absolutely no help at all, isn't it!?! :p  :(  :D

I'm pretty sure I'd have to remove the can to get photo's like the ones I saw and time doesn't allow that. But, if you're in the area, feel free to come and have a nose  :)

I've got exactly the same issue - except it doesn't appear that I've got the rubber bush - pictures doubly welcome.

Hope these help

4074.jpeg

4075.jpeg

It seems quite difficult not to get the rubber twisted as in photos.

Kerry S

Thanks for the info, and to Kerry for the piccies :t-up:

Peter, any chance I could pop over this AM to have a look at the modified mounting on yours.

Thanks chaps,

John.

John,

not a problem, though once Kerry posted his pictures I realised what your looking for was a standard can mounting (fact is, I should've realised when you first posted).

Mine's not a standard can, it's a repackable from Wunoff and the mounting I've got supports a bandstrap around the entire can (i.e. not the exit pipe like the standard can).

I'm either off out today (in tintop) or decorating (live life on the edge huh), so I'll PM you my mobile.

Exactly what I need  - thanks. I definitely ain't got the rubber bush, but knowing what you haven't got seems to be more than half the battle with building.