Water rail

geofff

Hi All,

Just noticed my water rail is leaking from the thermostat housing to water rail. Not a lot but there again it will be reducing pressure of water / boiling point of water and therefore reducing cooling. Also it drips (over night) onto my exhaust wrap :) which steams on start up!

So I'm resigned to using some sort of gasket sealant. Unless someone has any other ideas?  ???

Ta

Geoff

:)

Are you sure its leaking from inbetween the two?  I had a problem with water feeding back along the overflow pipe and exiting past the thermostat housing cap.  Just needed a rubber gasket from halfrauds for the cap to sort it.

Mark B

Hi Mark B,

You've lost me a little bit.

I don't have a heater so only have pipe to the rad and overflow pipe. Both pipes are secure.

The overflow is piped to the floor (underneath the engine) so when the pressure overrides the cap spring it will exit here - not a prob - I'll exit it too a plastic container once passed SVA so I can refill system.

But I'm getting leak (reasonably sure) between the two mating faces of themostat housing and water rail - it's damp to the touch. The gasket between the two is the standard Ford one with no sealant (as recomended by local Ford dealer).

What do you reckon?

Ta

Geoff

I had this on a particularly difficult to seal Pinto thermostat housing. I ended up roughing up the mating faces with some coarse alumimium oxide sandpaper. Apply Hylomar, let it *almost* dry, then apply the mating faces. That should be job done...

Hi,

Yep, that's basically what I was thinking I'd have to do - other than the key for the Hylomar - is that necessary?

Trouble is the Ford guy AND Raceline both recommend 'dry' and I feel like a right numpty having to resort to gasket sealant.

Ta

Geoff

I rarely use gaskets nowdays - silicon sealant is more reliable. But watch out where it goes! It can block things up a treat

Key for the Hylomar necessary? IMO, yes. Waiting for it to almost dry is equally important as it will help prevent the gasket slipping out when the piece is tightened down...

Okay,

Job will be done this weekend - after a visit to my local factors for sealant and new gasket.

Thanks for the advice

Geoff