• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Gear Box Problems

funbobby

After a good stint in the car say over an hour, it gets increasingly difficult to select gears. Especially when needing to select first at a junction, sometimes it gets so bad that I have to opt for second instead. Once the car cools down everything returns to normal. The gear change feels fine and pretty smooth without the engine running.

Ive got a 2.1 pinto with a type 9 box.

Anyone any ideas why this is happening?

My Cam is on its way out and have ordered a new one so I would like to get it sorted at the same time.

Cheers

:durr:

Never come across this before, but I would start with the obvious ones first.

Is the gear linkage well greased?

Gearbox oil topped up and correct grade?

Clutch adjusted correctly?

Thanks Mark, I'll have a look (or get someone to look for me more like)  - its very strange, next time I go to drive it it'll be fine for a while.

What did that set you back DickieB?

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

:D

Gut reaction is wrong grade oil. Draining it will be a pain. Not impossible though...

Problem is, if the oil is wrong, every gearchange you make is making any damage worse...

Me thinks its going to wait until the new Cam arrives and then I'll nurse it to the our Mechanics lock up and leave it there until he has fixed both.

Thanks for your comments I'll make sure I pass your ideas on to him

Cheers

FB :(

DEFINITELY wrong gearbox oil.  As usual, Blatters is correct.  For opposite fun, use gearbox oil with viscosity at the other end of the spectrum - can't get a gear when cold and you have to wait until the car's warmed up before you can go anywhere.  :p