SEW 2 litre for hill climbs and sprints

Richard Houlgate

I’ve a lot of experience trailing an Austin 7 and before I get too old thought I’d like to try the same, but on tarmac using a car derived from the Austin. I live 15 minutes from Loton Park.

I’ve no experience of tarmac speed events and would like to find a suitable car. I’ve tried several narrow bodied cars and find that the pedals are too near; my knee hits the steering wheel when I go for the brake pedal (not ideal)

So I need a SEW. I’d also like a 2 litre as I’ve always wanted to compete at the VSCC Pomeroy trophy instead of flag marshalling (the engine needs to be >1950cc). A Duratec would be ideal.

As a beginner in this branch of motorsport it would seem sensible to buy a car which has already been used in competition, but with the proviso that I would also like to be able to use it on the road on sunny days.

Having looked through the adverts I think I should be able to get something for £6-7k, am I right? Does someone have something suitable? Email me on richard@houlgate.co.uk.

Thanks.

Richard Houlgate

A Duratec powered car and a budget of 6-7k are not really compatible  :t-up:  the Duratec engine has only just started to be used by the factory and AFAIK only a couple of guys on here have re-engined older cars but they'd have spent at least that just on changing the engine, assuming it's not just a standard one.....

What you should get is either a Pinto or maybe a 2ltr Zetec/Vx engined car for that money   ;)

Thanks very much for your advice.

What are the pros and cons of the Pinto, Zetec and Vauxhall engines?

How much extra do you think I would have to pay for a Duratec powered car?

And (last question!) do you know of one for sale? Or that might be for sale?

Many thanks

A brief summary, that'll likely start an argument:

Pinto is 'old' and heavy.

Zetec is light, but costs more to get 'big' power.

Vx is also quite heavy, but cheaper to turn to 'big' power.

Andy

Out of your price range at the mo.. but "the Duck" just put his car up for sale. This is still a nice road car, registered taxed etc, but also a 240Bhp Vx racer which you would find a hoot up loton and definately capable of class wins. Race Chassis with extra stiffening and more than most of the right bits.

I'd forget Duratec for the moment (as there a relativley new engine)

£6-7K will not get you much I'm afraid uless you OK with an older engine/car.

£8-10 will get you 16 valves. ;)

£11-13 will get you most of the lightweight go-faster bits :t-up:

Above that & your talking lots of trick bits... :cool:  :love:

the Duratec engine has only just started to be used by the factory and AFAIK only a couple of guys on here have re-engined older cars but they'd have spent at least that just on changing the engine,

Yes lots more then that on the engine alone but it does make 248bhp

my knee hits the steering wheel when I go for the brake pedal (not ideal)

Mine used to as well, fitted a dished steering wheel at first, but then moved to a longer mounting boss so there's no chance of my knees catching the wheel now.  If the clash is 'small' then one of these solutions will solve the problem for you IMO.  May open more cars up to you.

Many thanks for all your replies.

I have purchased this car.

I drove it back from Peterborough yesterday; it went well and I am very pleased with it

Many thanks for all your replies.

I have purchased this car.

I drove it back from Peterborough yesterday; it went well and I am very pleased with it

Hope you enjoy.......... :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Cheque book at the ready for Cosworth upgrade... :D  :D  :D

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.