• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Brakes and the SVA

Eddy5

OK, another fret (My Dad's fret really), even though the brakes are new and haven't bedded in (Because it's not legal to drive about yet) will they still perform OK for the SVA test?

My thought is that by the time we've done the 20 odd mile trip to the SVA centre they should be working pretty well.

Anyone got any thoughts on this issue?

The brakes will probably not bed in properly in that short of time, there is also the potential for inbalance if the car has been stood for a while before the test. You may not be able to see it but there will be a thin film of rust forming on the discs as we speak. What I did on the night before the test was to remove the pads and rub both the inside and outside face of all the discs with emery cloth. I also rubbed each pad on emery paper on a flat surface, this takes all the rust and any glaze that are on the discs and pads so it takes no bedding in to pass the test. I trailered my latest one to the station no running in at all and it was spot on.

Obviously don't breath the brake dust in and make sure everything is totally spotless.

Your biggest worry is the front to rear balance which can cause difficulties at SVA for which there are several cures if it fails.

Can't see any reason why they wouldn't be bedded in after 20 miles or so, as long as it's not just 20 miles of motorway.  I ran my car up and down my road to check all was OK with everything I could before I took it to SVA.

There's been all sorts of chat on here about techniques for bedding in of brakes but all I did was be gentle with them until they had some heat in them, then did a few firm brake applications to make sure they were OK.

Darren  :)

The brakes will probably not bed in properly in that short of time, there is also the potential for inbalance if the car has been stood for a while before the test. You may not be able to see it but there will be a thin film of rust forming on the discs as we speak. What I did on the night before the test was to remove the pads and rub both the inside and outside face of all the discs with emery cloth. I also rubbed each pad on emery paper on a flat surface, this takes all the rust and any glaze that are on the discs and pads so it takes no bedding in to pass the test. I trailered my latest one to the station no running in at all and it was spot on.

Obviously don't breath the brake dust in and make sure everything is totally spotless.

Your biggest worry is the front to rear balance which can cause difficulties at SVA for which there are several cures if it fails.

Of course, if you do the fronts but not the rears, there's little chance of locking the rears first on the test...