Windscreen rake and wipers

waynem

Fitted the windscreen and all of my measure ments (rear crossmember to screen left/right, and crossmember to scuttle) are bang on. Problem is, the wiper spindles do not make a "nice" angle withe the screen. Its as though more rake is required, but I am sure that is a bump-steer. The screen, sidescreen, rearview mirrors etc all are right. Just the wiper spindles...

I may have to rework the screen fillet and also the rubber tubes (around the wiper spindle) seem to need an adjustment as they slightly foul the scuttle moulding...

Anyone else had similar issues ? Not a biggy, but I do want it right...

Wayne M

this may be a granny and eggs moment but here goes.

the spindles should not be at 90 degrees to the windscreen.  the wiper blades are held onto the windscreen using springs pulling down onto the spindles so an angle slightly more acute than 90 is a good thing as the springs wont work at a 90 degree angle iyswim

I thought mine looked a bit grim when I had done them but

a) they seem to work

b) the ones on the WF car at Stoneleigh looked worse

c) who wants to go out in the rain anyway

Kerry S

I ended up spending loads of time trying to get it to look nice by grinding off bits of GRP.  They work fine but I had to fill a couple of over enthusiastic grindings to stop water getting in through the wiper holes!!  :bangshead:

I came to the conclusion that I had to settle with 'good-enough' rather than what I expected it to go together like.

Darren  :)

Sounds like I'm not alone...

Checked with the blades on and they look as though they should work fine, although ( as suggested) the angle made is less than 90 with the screen, and the metal bush is not flush with the screen fillet.

So for now, I'll just go with it. Another thing to add to the list of "Parts that dont quite fit"

Thanks all..