Leaking half shaft

davehall

Can anybody tell what's involved in curing a leaking half shaft?

It's on a Ford English axle. Brake shoes are useless now so need to replace them. Do the bearings and seals come as one assembly? Any special tools required?

The bearings and seals are one but held on the halfshaft with a shrink fit collar.

remove the halfshaft (remove drum, undo 4 bolts, use slide hammer to remove halfshaft)

drill or chisel off the retaining ring.

Knock bearing off shaft.

Press or knock replacment back on.

Heat up collar and drop on

replace halfshaft....

Not difficult but equally most garages should do it pretty cheaply if you are not confident.

Hi davehall,

As per Toby Mack. It's a pretty manual job though.

Never tried it without a slide hammer (which not everybody has) though people do say you can use an old wheel bolted on and a big hammer.

Only bit I don't do is the heating up of the new retaining collet. I've only got a little disposable gas lamp and I didn't think I'd get enough heat into it - anybody confirm that?  ??? - plus I have a mate who does gas welding  :)

Ta

Geoff

:)

when I did mine I found dull red was not enough, it had to approach cherry red before it just dropped on. Lower temps and a press might have done the job but I did not want to risk it getting stuck halfway.

So you might be right, I think a gas blowtorch would probably do it but it would take a fair while. I used a mates braising torch.

To get the halfshafts out I used one of these;

2203.jpeg

Front hub puller and modified large persuader :D

oh, forgot to mention. I have not tried it but I have been told you can put the retaining bolts in from the back and use them to push on the flange to remove the halfshaft. Neither of my halfshafts were difficult to remove so I suspect it will work but don't bend the flange!

Hi Toby Mack,

That works 100%  :D    I read it on the board when I was doing mine and tried it (before I got slide hammer - BTW great modification Mark - love the picture). Totally forgot that about the bolts  :durr: You will need replacement bolts afterwards but there pennies.

Ta

Geoff

:)