Testing @ Llandow

adhawkins

Hi,

Considering doing my first 'test' at Llandow on 21st May (a Saturday). I've got my name down provisionally, but need to confirm with my pit crew and team manager before I can say for definite.

Anyone else interested?

Charge is £65 for any 3 hours, £120 for the whole day. Gates open at 9am, driving (probably) from 10-5, with an hour for lunch. I was thinking of arriving just before or around lunchtime.

Anyone?

Andy

I might be. Do you just turn up or need to book?

John

I've 'got my name down'. I think the only reason for that is so that they can phone you if someone books the circuit exclusively.

No need to pay beforehand, but probably worth letting them know if you're coming I guess.

Just out of interest, where is the 'finish line' for sprints on the Llandow circuit?

Andy

Midway between the last bend and the paddock entrance

Ok, that makes sense from the video I've been watching (and prompting this trip! ).

Thanks

Andy

but need to confirm with my pit crew and team manager

Who are they then? ???

You're the latter.

:t-up:

Andy

:)

You can have a crew of 1 can't you? Ellen MacArthur? :D

Andy

I heard on local news this morning that there was a fatal accident there yesterday  :(

Apparently involved a single car. Police are investigating.

No idea what effect, if any, this may have on future events, but I guess changes in rules etc, especially for the apparently casual "test" days may be on the cards.....

More info here:

Man, 60, dies in crash at racetrack Apr 27 2005

Aled Blake, Western Mail

A MAN died yesterday in a crash at racetrack involving one car.

The 60-year-old man was racing at Llandow Racetrack near Cowbridge at 2.20pm. The track has been closed to allow an investigation to be carried out.

The Vale of Glamorgan Council's Environmental Health Department is carrying out the investigation, assisted by South Wales Police accident investigation unit.

Sergeant Neil Williams of South Wales Police said, "The circumstances of the incident are currently subject to an investigation to establish how the collision happened."

The man, who has not been named, died at the scene. It was not clear last night how the crash happened.

Llandow Racetrack is approved by the Motor Sport Association and is used for various types of racing.

The 875-metre track is an historic race venue, situated on an old World War II airfield base. It is an approved sprint track for cars.

It was a stage for the Welsh Rally for several years and has been used for motorcycle and car sprint events as well as banger racing.

from the Top12runoff.co.uk website

Sad news has reached us about Rys Howells.

The 61 year old tragically lost his life (April 26th 2005) testing at the Llandow Sprint course in Wales when driving his Pilbeam MP43 5.2 litre. Rys won class G for Sports Libre Cars over 2 litres in the 2004 Leaders Championship. He was also a valuable sponsor of the class through his Monex concern.

very sad  :down:

Just a quick update concerning the circuit.

Due to the nature of the accident I understand that it is unlikely that there will be any repercussions for future events.

I'm there on Sunday, well next door, for a karting event so if there's any more information I will pass it on.

Due to the nature of the accident

Not wanting to be overly morbid or insensitive, but any details on what actually happened?

Andy

Due to the nature of the accident

Not wanting to be overly morbid or insensitive, but any details on what actually happened?

Andy

Well, as you say, not wishing to dwell on the incident and respecting any friends and family, the accident only involved the unfortunate Mr Rhys Howells, who is reported to have suffered a heart attack.