Sewing stuff onto Nomex race suit

adhawkins

Hi,

If I were to have stuff sewn onto my new race suit (the SS Driver label to start with) are there any special considerations I need to take into account?

Thanks

Andy

Don't know whether it is of any use, but I was reluctant to do this, so I used a fabric glue called SEW-SIMPLE  bought from the local supermarket, I was told by someone in the know that this would do no harm and could be removed.

Just sew it onto your waist band thing  :D  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  :D Most folks sew em straight onto suit by hand and only go through top layer  :D  :D  :D

If you're involved in that much of a fire a bit of cotton and a few needle holes ain't gonna be an issue  :D  :D  ;)  ;)

SEW-SIMPLE  bought from the local supermarket

and B&Q, got some yesterday

If you're involved in that much of a fire a bit of cotton and a few needle holes ain't gonna be an issue  

Whereas a possibly flammable glue might well do strange things to the materials chemical make up. I'd sew rather than glue...

are there any special considerations I need to take into account?

Wear a good quality thimble. Stainless steel are best, although I believe there's a carbon available. Avoid the fake carbon plastic ones. They can be a bit sweaty and are too Max Singer for my liking...

Wear a good quality thimble. Stainless steel are best, although I believe there's a carbon available. Avoid the fake carbon plastic ones. They can be a bit sweaty and are too Max Singer for my liking...

LOL. :D  :D  :D

Blatman, you're knowledgeable in far too much stuff to be healthy :)

Andy

LOL. :D  :D  :D

LOL  :D

Andy just sew the mothers on. I have had no probs with Screwters at any events. The only flame proof cotton for want of a word is the NSPCC symbol on the back of my suit which is flame proof cos' it’s a fully stitched/embroided logo done by machine and its bigish.

Buzz

NSPCC? Northern Soft Persons Car Club :suspect:

Oi!! Mr Blats

NSPCC

Not Scared of Punchin' Cheeky C**ts  :p  :D  :D  :D

Buzz

Apologies that was my christian side coming out...ouch!! what bolt of lightin'

On a serious note.

The thing that comes with SPARCO overalls and looks like a label is in fact the Users Handbook which gives, amongst other things, instructions for the application of embroidery and labels.  

Basically, you should only sew onto the outer layer of the suit.   It goes on to state that the label backing and thread should be fireproof to ISO 15025.  My SS Drivers badge is sewn onto the outer layer but the thread came out of Mrs H's sewing box so I doubt its fireproof  :D

If you have pockets on the chest area, then sew the WSCC one there cause you can get it on leaving a healthy nomex layer underneath.  Certainly the case with my suit anyway.

Don't think I have any pockets on the chest...I'll check though.

Andy