Shelsley Walsh

davidgh

I realise I might be saying something heretical here (Shelsley is, after all, the mother of all UK hillclimbs)...........but.......

I wouldn't mind betting that quite a few SS Class A protagonists sent off cheques to MAC (Guy and I certainly did; did you?)  --  but I believe only two Class A entries (Roland and Magnum) have been accepted.

[Memo to self: must get an account with Coutts!]

As a newbie to this, I am told that this is totally predictable with Shelsley  --  but it means that there is effectively a four week gap in the season (twixt Oliver's Mount and Knockhill) for our junior competitors. And just at the (optimist) onset of the good weather.

:down:  :down:  :down:

I spoke to Roger Thomas about a different matter a few days ago and he commented that the event was oversubscribed by 47 entries.

Thats a lot of people to let down from a lot of different championships. I would have thought that a shared car would have had a chance though.

John

I'm in for Saturday  :D  but got rejected for Sunday  :arse:  ho hum, another 350 mile round trip for 2 minutes of fun  :down:  :t-up:

I had heard the dual driver theory, but I don't think that I subscribe to it John:

Hardly a statistically significant sample size I admit, but I've sent entries in each year for four years: three times as a dual, only got in once. Once as a single; got in once....

Shelsley? that will be the most over-hyped & least challenging closed-shop hillclimb on the calendar. At least their well mannered committee make up for it though.

I pass the baton on......

May I ask for the baton be dropped ...............at the present time please  ;)  :D  ;)  :D  ;)  :D  ;)

Okey Dokey ............ baton collected  :D  :D

With all due respect ............... yes it is possibly unfortunate that only Roland and Magnum are entered into Class A .............. However tis possibly better to take a look at the overall WSCC entries .............where you will find a grand total of 24 WSCC SS registered drivers competing (and some newbies)  :D  :D  :D

together with around half a dozen other Westfields in other championships  :D  :D  :D

Compare that to 6 drivers for the TVR, 14 for Ginetta and 8 for Triumph register  ;)  ;)

It is inevitable that at most venues will see entries refused due to capacity of the circuit / hill ............ tis unfortunate, but ...........that's life

The MAC have accommodated 24 registered WSCC SS drivers - which is one of the highest number of single make championship  :D  :D  :D Thanks MAC

Bear in mind that at the end of the day the MAC have to put together an appealing programme of cars for the public to watch and be attracted to support the venue.........................as much as we here perhaps would like nothing more than to see 100+ Westfields all day long..............it would be quite boring for the general public which is a key factor to the venues on-going use  :D  :D

I can't say its easy for each driver to accept that an entry has been refused but you gotta keep pluggin away and your turn will come...................honest  :D  :D  :D

Not meaning to gloat, but I just got in on my first application.  I backed up the entry with a letter explaining how I had watched there since 10 years old and it was what inspired me to get into motorsport, (now realised 13 years later) was there at the 90th birthday, saw the huge Jordan crash on 95th birthday, etc.  I also supplied photocopy photos of me at 10 and 20 to prove it.  Whether or not this had any effect I don't know, but I didn't exactly enter the first week of regs as I know others did who didn't get in.  

I am really excited about my 30 seconds of adrenaline, but more from my history with the place.  I think the event can be over-hyped, but attracts extraordinary entries (especially at celebration events) which are seen no-where else in the world.  For that, the track should be praised. ???

FWIW the committee have a very hard job accommodating all the entries they receive so basically what they try to do is include a few 'new' people at each meeting so they can find out what Shelsley is like  :t-up:  they also select people who have set quick times in the past and then finally they select some who make up a class to the minimum number required.... that's how I got in for Saturday  ;)  :oops:  :bangshead:

Bear in mind that at the end of the day the MAC have to put together an appealing programme of cars for the public to watch and be attracted to support the venue.........................as much as we here perhaps would like nothing more than to see 100+ Westfields all day long..............it would be quite boring for the general public which is a key factor to the venues on-going use  :D  :D

Couldnt have put it better myself.

Whilst we as either Westfield Owners or Speed series drivers enjoy seeing Westfields,the fact is that the paying public don't want to see just Westfields. Variety is what they pay for and what MAC have to provide.

Roger is regularly taken to task by drivers who have entry refused, however in his time as secretary if you make the reserve list you inevitably get to run. Shelsley is always oversubscibed and as this year is the centenary , interest and the desire to part of that is higher than ever.

If  you have been unlucky and refused entry then you join such people as Sir Stirling Moss who has also had entries refused in the past.

Robert the Bruce had the right idea , if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again.

Looking at the number of WSCC people who have got it, and then the other competition I have got to agree with Mark. We have done well to get so many people in. Given that the event is always oversubcribed, to get in you need to have to have something of interest and be prompt with your entry :D:D:D  

Don't forget there are lots of very interesting cars there, but the biggest numbers by a long way are WESTFIELD's :D:D:D:D