Offset

Jonah

What does the ET35 refer to on some 15" by 7" wheels i have got.

I measured the backspace by laying the wheel face down, putting a straight edge acress the rim and  then measuring the distace from the straight edge to the hub nountng face. This was 5.5".

I subtracted the wheel centreline 3.5" from the backspace 5.5" giving 2" or 50.8mm +ve offset. How does this relate to the ET35 marked on the wheels?  

Thanks

Pete Jones

If I understood correctly, it sounds like you have a mismatch between the stamp and the wheel; providing you measured the 7" from across the outside surfaces of the rim, rather than assumed it.

Wheel Info

I would trust the measurement rather than the stamp.

If you follow the link above, you can see where your measurement is flawed...

What has happened is that you have included the thickness of the rim in the calculations, as opposed to where the tyre actually seats, which is likely to account for the 15mm 'spare'.

To prove, actually measure out the wheel centreline, from rim edge to rim edge. You will probably find that you will gain another inch on some wheels...

HTH Stu.

Thank you both. I had done exactly as you describe. Assumed rim width was 7" as marked on the wheel, when in fact when measured across the outer flanges is almost 8". This makes the calculation come out to match the ET35 stamped on the wheels.

Another question. what do the letters ET stand for?

Pete Jones

I could be wrong and often am but I believe it could be an abreviation of the german word 'Einpresstiefe' which means Insertion depth???

Waits in anticipation

penguin.gif